• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Removing Sutro Icons

kjcolumbo

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hey everyone!

Does anyone have experience removing the icons off of Sutro temples? I’m thinking about doing a custom copper pair, similar to the jaws on some Jawbreakers I did in the past. See in the pic below, and also note the copper bars and stem I did on my bike.

Once painted, I was going to mask and patina sections before clear coating and adding the lens back in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

C9755D4E-014F-4F9C-AD53-6BF1654AF2E2.jpeg

On the sutro icons the whole square comes off..use a small blade and pry gently. You'll have to hand paint or mask the lower grill part and spray the raised icon... same goes wifh the factory pilot logo on the eyeshade versions.

Oh and don't forget to remove that little made in USA icon too on the inside. Those come off the same way the icon plates do. Good luck

Here is what I have so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and patena them, or just clear coat and reassemble.

8fbc15f9-b3a9-49b9-bb2f-919b2cbd1719-jpeg.jpg

I think the icons will probably stay stock (black with silver O). Then again, chrome with a black O would be pretty cool. We'll see how creative I feel like getting with them. My hand painting skills aren't the best.

My next question is putting them back on. Some of the adhesives pealed on the back of the icons. Any suggestions on what to use to stick them back on?

Hey @SouLFuLFroG - Any suggestions on what to use to put the icons and Made In the USA badge back on? Some of the adhesive pealed when prying them off. I'm not too concerned about taking them off again, but if there is a non-superglue permanent solution, that would probably be good.

Back