• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Replacement Oakley Prescription Lenses?

supersnake83

Oakley Beginner
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading things on this site for a while. I'm a big Oakley fan, owning about 40 pair of sunglasses. All regular non-prescription sunglasses.

I recently had an eye exam and got an updated prescription and thought, why not use a pair of Oakley sunglasses with clear lenses as my everyday pair (or whenever I wear them pair).

My prescription is really mild. I actually see 20/20 with both eyes together without any correction, but I always have a pair of eyeglasses for when I feel I need them (when on the computer for a long period of time, or when I feel my eyes straining, or when the lighting is not good enough). I only have an astigmatism (hence, why I own so many pairs of sunglasses).

So, my question is, what are thoughts/suggestions about using a pair of prescription sunglasses as eyeglasses using a clear lens or clear to black (or clear to brown) photochromic lens to double when I use them outside?

I'm interested in using a pair of Flak 2.0 XL with either clear or clear to black (or clear to black iridium) as my daily wearer instead of regular eyeglasses. I still do have a pair of regular eyeglasses, but I really like the light-weight and full wrap coverage of the Flak 2.0 XL frame/lenses. Flak 2.0 XL fits my face perfectly.

My prescription is Plano/-.50/150 (right) and Plano/-.50/10 (left). 62 PD. Single vision. No progressives/bifocals needed. My prescription has been mostly unchanged for the last 10 years or so (left eye has been the same for last 3 exams).

Asking for thoughts/comments/input from all the Oakley experts on here. Also, what are the thoughts on using Oakley vs one of the other aftermarket lens makers commonly mentioned on this forum (Revant/Ikon/Fuse/Chris Hardaway, etc.). Does anyone recommend one or the other manufacturers for the lens I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I use a set of Flak Jacket XLJ transition lenses as my shop glasses. I know they’re not ANSI rated, but I wanted something more versatile than straight up rx safety glasses. While I do have the transition bonus, I rarely use it since I’m not out much with it. Great for robotic competitions though. Now I don’t need to carry two types of glasses! Prob the biggest bonus there.

I’ve only dealt with @Chris A Hardaway, and both of my rx pairs are fantastic (Flak Jacket and Flak 2.0). Not sure if Flak 2.0 would be great to use as an everyday, all day pair. A bit bulky and sporty to use as rx glasses, though they are nice.

Never tried other companies, but I’m sure they’re fine. Though OO BIP for my Flak 2.0 RX was the best investment ever. Doubt any other company could match that beautiful tint

Thanks for your input Zax. For the bulk, believe it or not, I like the way the flak 2.0 XL feel. I don't even know they are there, even after several hours. My eyeglasses on the other hand, while not heavy, are more noticeable, and I feel them there and my eyes pick up on the frames (whereas my eyes does not pickup on the Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses I wear). I do like the sporty look.

Also, I work in front of a computer all day. Any downside to using clear Flak 2.0 XL prescription lenses while looking at a computer screen/reading?

I can't disagree with you on the Oakley lens clarity/quality. My only gripe is price. Clear prescription Flak 2.0 XL from Oakley costs about $185 online (various shops). Add another $90 - $125 for transition lenses (higher price including the Black Iridium Polarized version). So far with a coupon, Ikon offers the best current price including transitions. I'm not sure about pricing for @Chris A Hardaway (but would be interested in a quote). Revant's offers a vented lens, but don't know if they will be significantly better because they are vented.

Thanks.

Thanks for your input Zax. For the bulk, believe it or not, I like the way the flak 2.0 XL feel. I don't even know they are there, even after several hours. My eyeglasses on the other hand, while not heavy, are more noticeable, and I feel them there and my eyes pick up on the frames (whereas my eyes does not pickup on the Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses I wear). I do like the sporty look.

Also, I work in front of a computer all day. Any downside to using clear Flak 2.0 XL prescription lenses while looking at a computer screen/reading?

I can't disagree with you on the Oakley lens clarity/quality. My only gripe is price. Clear prescription Flak 2.0 XL from Oakley costs about $185 online (various shops). Add another $90 - $125 for transition lenses (higher price including the Black Iridium Polarized version). So far with a coupon, Ikon offers the best current price including transitions. I'm not sure about pricing for @Chris A Hardaway (but would be interested in a quote). Revant's offers a vented lens, but don't know if they will be significantly better because they are vented.

Thanks.
I'm currently charging $220 for clear lenses on flak 2.0/2.0xl models. $330 for transitions Rx. These are both genuine Oakley RX. Digital lenses, anti glare coating, etc.

I would stay with oem Rx Oakley. They input and grind the RX based in the exact curvature of the lens as on file with Oakley! They use a modified Shamir Autograph II Attitude lens (Google that) called OTD. They are made of the highest quality, high pressure, injection molded polycarbonate Transitions 7 blanks, which also block 35% of blue light at the computer! Clear lenses don't do that.
I test fit every set, and check the RX before shipping.
I wouldn't go aftermarket, you'd save a little, but at what cost? Poor fit, multiple remakes, warped optics, just don't do aftermarket lol.

Anyway, glad to see such a mild Rx... I recommend you go with what suits you . Maybe u have a frame, or frame costs extra. But just keep in mind I had little time to respond, but wanted you to know, durability, and optical quality around the corner is better with oakley Rx... You can match the quality elsewhere, but it'll actually cost more to do right!

I'm currently charging $220 for clear lenses on flak 2.0/2.0xl models. $330 for transitions Rx. These are both genuine Oakley RX. Digital lenses, anti glare coating, etc.

I would stay with oem Rx Oakley. They input and grind the RX based in the exact curvature of the lens as on file with Oakley! They use a modified Shamir Autograph II Attitude lens (Google that) called OTD. They are made of the highest quality, high pressure, injection molded polycarbonate Transitions 7 blanks, which also block 35% of blue light at the computer! Clear lenses don't do that.
I test fit every set, and check the RX before shipping.
I wouldn't go aftermarket, you'd save a little, but at what cost? Poor fit, multiple remakes, warped optics, just don't do aftermarket lol.

Anyway, glad to see such a mild Rx... I recommend you go with what suits you . Maybe u have a frame, or frame costs extra. But just keep in mind I had little time to respond, but wanted you to know, durability, and optical quality around the corner is better with oakley Rx... You can match the quality elsewhere, but it'll actually cost more to do right!

Thanks for responding @Chris A Hardaway. I googled/read about the options you listed. Are the transitions you quoted with iridium or without? I'm mainly asking because it got me thinking. Oakley lists their clear lens with 95% light transmission. I'm now wondering if I decided on clear to black transitions with iridium what would the light transmission be when at fully clear. I'm assuming the clear to gray transitions (without iridium) when fully clear are still at the 95% light transmission (but please correct me if I am wrong).

Also, with the injected molded polycarbonate Transitions 7 blanks, are these just for single vision (I don't need any bifocals/progressives or anything). How is the 35% blocking of the blue light achieved (this is more for my benefit/understanding, not questioning your info).

Also, yes, I have two pair of Flak 2.0 frames. One in the non XL lens model (oo9295) and an XL model (oo9188) that I would just use/swap out the lenses as needed. I can easily get another pair of flak 2.0 sunglasses if needed or get a dedicated flak 2.0 frame off Ebay. I usually pickup a pair when I feel I want another tent, so I would only be interested in lenses only right now.

Thanks again for responding and all the info you provided.

I think I just found my answer on the Iridium light transmission. Oakley lists the clear to black iridium photochromic light transmission at 69% when activated (clear), so this may be too dark for me being that I want to use the Flak 2.0 prescription as my daily wearer. I found stats on the clear to gray from another website, and it listed 94/95% light transmission when clear. The darkened light transmission don't matter too much, but the stats I found was between 17% - 23% when darkened, which would be fine for me when I use the sunglasses outside.

Last edited:
The prices I sent were for clear, or clear to grey. The black Iridium transitions would cost more. All transitions lenses block a good amount of harmful HEV blue light, I'm not sure exactly "how" they do it. I just know they do making them better at computers than standard clear. I would assume with black iridium transitions and the lower light transmission they'd block even more blue light but I don't have papers or evidence to support that statement. I just don't enjoy the look of the Iridium when then lenses are indoor. It looks bitchin when it's outside.

Yeah, I found forgot I had a spare clear to gray photochromic lens for my Jawbreaker and they are really clear when clear, so I know any darker (i.e. with the iridium) when clear would probably be uncomfortable when indoor with a prescription. I appreciate all the help/info.

Back