• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1’s

Mike_in_London

Oakley Beginner
Hi all. Recently bought some new lenses and a new rubber kit from ebay for one of my Romeo 1’s and all good, they both fitted very nicely.

However… the ear socks are pretty tight to get on the frame and i don’t want to force them.

Some kind of lube i’m sure would help, but if anyone had any tips they could share, i’d be most grateful.

I went for red rubbers, not everyones choice i’m sure, but i like them, and i still have another pair in the original black.

Thank you.

9C8D2898-3C30-4E1A-B19F-2C6F05219142.jpeg

Hi all. Recently bought some new lenses and a new rubber kit from ebay for one of my Romeo 1’s and all good, they both fitted very nicely.

However… the ear socks are pretty tight to get on the frame and i don’t want to force them.

Some kind of lube i’m sure would help, but if anyone had any tips they could share, i’d be most grateful.

I went for red rubbers, not everyones choice i’m sure, but i like them, and i still have another pair in the original black.

Thank you.

View attachment 993983
Those are lovely & enjoy the forum 👍

Petroleum Vaseline prevent dry socks from cracking...IMO.. specifically OEM Root beer's
so, i’m not an expert with vaseline but from what i understand it’s oil based right? And I personally consider Oakley rubbers “spent” or “done” when they become sticky. I thought the design for the rubbers was to actually still have grip even when they get oily, and you just wash them out, rinse, repeat.

two things reasons why I personally wouldnt reccomend anything oil based on the rubbers: it shortens their purpose by putting oils in that need be removed for proper function, and two, mostly in the case for TI and plasma frames, they would promote the finish & the rubbers getting gunky and sticky.

Anyways, I am not a scientist but @Nucchem actually is lol and maybe he can chime in.

My recommendation for lubricant is eyeglass cleaner- 1 sprits in the rubber, let excess drip on the stem, spray the stem too, use a towel to grip the rubber and work it on. use the clean towel and excess cleaner to clean the lenses and frame you just man-handled.