• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shill bidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that is totally a douche bag move to boot.

For auctions, I'll used a sniper account program that automatically bids for me. Not to "swoop in" but to simply remove the frenzy that can be caused by that excitement. You can't bid "just one more time". I pick a value that I feel is fair, enter that and walk away. I typically won't even watch. If i'm outbid and lose, by $5 or by $100, I lose. If I win it's the same thing. I've already set a price I'd be happy to pay so I try to focus on that.

But that example of 450 bids all with the same person... , that should be prosecuted.

Here's something that happened to me recently. There was a cheap wire pair on auction, and the highest bid towards the end was $60. I came in at the last second with a $90 bid (what I thought pair was worth). But at the same time, a $100 bid swooped in and won. No problem. That happens more often than not. But within minutes I received a "second chance offer", but for my bid of $90. I quickly shot a message to the seller saying that the third highest bidder was at $60. If that person who cancelled the order didn't bid. Then technically, I should have won that pair at $61. But that didn't happen. So now I have my suspicions on who the highest bidder was.

So watch out for those so-called second chance offers. That's another scheme right there.

Here's something that happened to me recently. There was a cheap wire pair on auction, and the highest bid towards the end was $60. I came in at the last second with a $90 bid (what I thought pair was worth). But at the same time, a $100 bid swooped in and won. No problem. That happens more often than not. But within minutes I received a "second chance offer", but for my bid of $90. I quickly shot a message to the seller saying that the third highest bidder was at $60. If that person who cancelled the order didn't bid. Then technically, I should have won that pair at $61. But that didn't happen. So now I have my suspicions on who the highest bidder was.

So watch out for those so-called second chance offers. That's another scheme right there.
Ive had the same thing happen to me.

Joe has been a nice guy for years. However underhanded he is with all this ebay BS. He did some really nasty stuff to me but didn't get away with it. I believe he's now banded from the bay as well as here. I feel bad for a gentleman here that was taken many times in his pursuit of rare frogs. He got em in the end though. Damn good job Kip. The museum man needed to have an exit with all this stuff. Lucky me I ended up with something from him ive been lookin forward to getting fot years. Thank goodness I didn't have to get it directly from him.

I actually called ebay to report him with his shill bidding. Not fair to bid something up a couple hundred dollars to my bid then retract it. I should not have had to pay all the bids by that bidder till it reached the price if he retracted the bid. All his bids should have been removed. I wasn't happy. I get it's an auction site but if you outbid me. Then retract it. All your bids should be removed. He had great stuff. But not great practices.

Also some people do it to the sellers
I'll admit to trying stupid things. In my early days on ebay auctions. I would turn in a whole bunch of low bids, hoping to detract potential bidders from even trying, if they see 40-50 bids turned in. Lol. And I've actually retracted a few bids myself, again in attempts to try detract bidders. Of course I don't do things like that anymore, now that I have a sellers perspective. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back