• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shipping internationally

If I sell something overseas I always tell the buyer that they have to agree to take responsibility for the package once it gets scanned accepted at post office. If they don’t agree I move on. I know they could still file claim with PayPal but I would at least have proof that they agreed to take responsibility. I have a package stuck in Miami customs right now that has been there a month. Also you can’t insure a first class package if shipping international. So yes there is a big $ difference in the cost for shipping. The package I shipped is a set of blue Dillons for an R1. Cost for shipping was $15.00. To ship priority was $40.00 plus any insurance. Like Hog said above you can’t claim a $25.00 value on item them insure it for $300.00.
the second part of this I totally agree with, if a buyer won’t pony up the money for full insurance leave them to it.

But how can you expect a buyer to accept responsibility when scanned and accepted at po? At the point of sale the contract is between you and the Po. You have the recipt and proof of posting, so you are expecting people to pay for insurance which they cannot claim on as the contract with the po is with the sender not the buyer. And you will not help the buyer.

so you will only sell with insurance knowing the buyer cannot claim and you will not?

I have joined this forum for a month now and just received my first purchase from US to Australia. It took 8 days!
I love this forum now---so who's got produce that wants to offload to me in Australia??

Spc369 made a very valid point--"The only thing that boils my pizz is people who list will not ship international but you see they’re happy to buy from abroad, bit of an unfair one way street that? But again everyones choice is fine. It works both ways and like cacatman I like lists"​

I’m not sure why it would matter what each individual is comfortable doing. There are some sellers here that depend on international buyers. And for those of us that rarely sell, it’s just not worth the hassle. I’ve seen European sellers only want to sell locally too, doesn’t bother me. You just move on.

A conversation in PM here will not protect you at all. If buyer paid you G&S, and package doesn't show as delivered, buyer will get his/her money back.

For me it's simple, you want cheap uninsured shipping, or lower declared value? sure USPS 1st class international, for around $15, but payment must be F&F, period. And buyer accepts all responsibility. Whatever happens after acceptance is not my problem. Don't agree? move on
Good info @X-Metal Beast i will probably use that method in future

the second part of this I totally agree with, if a buyer won’t pony up the money for full insurance leave them to it.

But how can you expect a buyer to accept responsibility when scanned and accepted at po? At the point of sale the contract is between you and the Po. You have the recipt and proof of posting, so you are expecting people to pay for insurance which they cannot claim on as the contract with the po is with the sender not the buyer. And you will not help the buyer.

so you will only sell with insurance knowing the buyer cannot claim and you will not?
A conversation in PM here will not protect you at all. If buyer paid you G&S, and package doesn't show as delivered, buyer will get his/her money back.

For me it's simple, you want cheap uninsured shipping, or lower declared value? sure USPS 1st class international, for around $15, but payment must be F&F, period. And buyer accepts all responsibility. Whatever happens after acceptance is not my problem. Don't agree? move on
Two valid points here, and I agree with both. I think what we have here is just a matter of what's agreed upon between buyer and seller. You talk things over and if an agreement 'can't' be met, move on.

I think it def depends on the communication between buyer and seller and expectations about transfer of risk and mitigating those issues.....

I def have no issues sending and receiving items to my neighbors up north .. it’s when items travel over large bodies of water that things get a little dicey .

I think it def depends on the communication between buyer and seller and expectations about transfer of risk and mitigating those issues.....

I def have no issues sending and receiving items to my neighbors up north .. it’s when items travel over large bodies of water that things get a little dicey .
and I remember you arranged one of the more complicated deals I’ve been involved with when I was newer here. That’s was uk to uk and us. Would never have happened without your help and we both benefitted. Just needed people to be willing. 👍🏻

Also you can’t insure a first class package if shipping international. So yes there is a big $ difference in the cost for shipping. The package I shipped is a set of blue Dillons for an R1. Cost for shipping was $15.00. To ship priority was $40.00 plus any insurance. Like Hog said above you can’t claim a $25.00 value on item them insure it for $300.00.
Finally someone gets what I'm saying.

I’m down with this 100%