• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Show Us Your Bike...

Aight bike Gurus,

Im not looking into a new bike or frame... but im Thinking of upgrading my drive train!

I’m a novice running a garbage shimano 3 X 8

Im looking into SRAM Eagle NX 1 X 11 ...Pro’s? Con’s?

It looks doable in your own garage without any serious tools... drop some weight and simplify your system...

Thoughts?

i did a similar swap to what you are trying to do on my vintage schwinn moab hardtail last year. i went from a 3x7 to a 1x10 setup. it all depends on your rear wheel on what cassette size you can switch to. i thought i remember 7 and 8 ring cassettes only being able to go up to 1x10, but i may be wrong. i'm not sure if it was that or price that made me go 1x10 over anything more.

for my swap i used a shimano xt shifter, shimano xt rear derailleur, and a sunrace 11 to 42 tooth cassette. you can also get 11 to 46 tooth if you need the higher climbing gear. i also used a 32 tooth front "narrow wide" raceface chain ring on a shimano zee crank set with a KMC 10 speed chain. pictures of that bike i did the swap on are on page 83 of this thread.

also i do i have the SRAM Eagle NX 1x12 on my Santa Cruz Bronson full suspension bike and i like it. i just wish it had the ability to shift up more than one gear at a time like the shimano xt shifter on my other bike can. they both can drop multiple gears with one lever push, but the sram can't go up multiple gears at once like the shimano does. other than that it is great.

You dont want 12? GX I think it is? I dont know if that will fit your rear wheel.
What are you riding?

SRAM eagle NX line uses a cassette that fits on shimano HG splined hubs. GX line and up use SRAM XD hubs. they did that to have an option for people who want more cost effective swaps that already have shimano hubs.

Last edited:
SRAM eagle NX line uses a cassette that fits on shimano HG splined hubs. GX line and up use SRAM XD hubs. they did that to have an option for people who want more cost effective swaps that already have shimano hubs.

This is what interests me... it almost appears to be a ‘universal’ kind of kit ... I’ll research a bit more, ask my LBC (equip myself hopefully) and find a decent price before pulling the trigger

i think i remember the 10 speed rear cassette having a spacer ring instead of where the 11 speed 50 tooth ring would be, so i would think the 11 speed cassette would at least fit on your 8 speed hub. as for how your chainline will work out who knows till you try. 1x drivetrains and dropper seat posts are 2 modern mountain bike parts that are really nice to add to older bikes for sure.

My current bikes:

e8b4d2d8b79d138e308d01c6cfbabbeb.jpg

150c3843aaffd587ba7107a592f5b203.jpg

e5ae9d10a47ecc495bf817826e450450.jpg

380f4d3a31b667c0232c3a2cc1c7466e.jpg

Back