• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spine/Spline (Proper name - Premium Tower) Case Hinges

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some spine/spline case hinges for the doors.

(P.S. It's proper name is the "Premium Tower" according to @Hed568 here).

Does anyone know where I can get replacements from?

@Zax would you be able to make these?!!

@SiRacer420 can you 3D print them strong enough? There are 3 hinges per side to hang a perspex pane off.

Thanks in advance!

Spine 1.jpg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man. I don't know if they'd be strong enough. ABS could possibly be. I'd rather do it in like carbon fiber or something like nylon x. @Zax what do you think? ABS strong enough to keep the doors on safely?

@cacatman I know for sure that either of us would need sample parts to design from. Well maybe @Zax could do it from a picture but I'm not that good lol

If we can determine that it would be safe and get something modeled, you know I'll print whatever you need.

We use ABS for a few things on our competition robots and they take quite a beating. We made a few bevel gears out ABS for an intake mechanism. Problem was, they sheared really quickly, though that wouldn't be an issue here. Honestly not sure. I think it's strong enough to hold, but securing it tightly without cracking it is another problem. I can help design it if you'd like to try. Unfortunately, our only ABS printer sucks haha. Can't get a good print out of it to save my life (Makerbot Rep 2 Dual Extruder). It's been collecting dust for two years now. I use PLA for all of the smaller projects.

Do you have one that is currently broken?

I'll print those hoes at 100% infill so they won't crack. ABS is all I've ever used so I'm good there.

I've never had one of those cases so no hinge but I bet we can find someone that can loan one out.

@Dallas O Hog might have the file.

I bought a “Spine” Case from him that didn’t have hinges but he had some 3D printed and mailed them to me. However, I still have not yet installed them so I can’t say anything about their strength.

I bought a “Spine” Case from him that didn’t have hinges but he had some 3D printed and mailed them to me. However, I still have not yet installed them so I can’t say anything about their strength.
Worse case scenario, I could just take them off the bottom drawers, but there are only 4, and 6 are needed for the top.

@neill if it's not too much trouble, could you do me a favour and measure the dimensions of each door with the width, as well as the dimensions of the glass shelves inside, please?

Back