• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time Tank battery replacement.

Spc369

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
uk
So stopped last week. Researched here and ordered the correct 395. Pretty straight forward but nothing can prepare you for how fiddly the battery cover screw is. No trouble with it jumping as i read here. I just kept pressure on the cover removing/refitting. If the screw wasnt magnetic though id never have reseated it. Man that buggers fiddly. All done though. 5min job in theory. 😎
37513F9D-2959-407B-9B99-B4966227F14A.jpeg

Nice work. The battery screw in mine is very springy. The first time I ever changed the battery the spring popped up and hit my right in the face so I was lucky enough to find it.
My first though was to remove the screw with the watch in a large clear bag then it couldn’t escape if it jumped lol. Easier just to hold the cover in place until removed then its not under tension. Big fiddly putting it back together but as preassure testings not an issue for me its just a case of taking your time. Only cost , a battery👍🏻

My first though was to remove the screw with the watch in a large clear bag then it couldn’t escape if it jumped lol. Easier just to hold the cover in place until removed then its not under tension. Big fiddly putting it back together but as preassure testings not an issue for me its just a case of taking your time. Only cost , a battery👍🏻
I’m with you there, why spend the money to send it to a jeweler when you can do it yourself. Yea the second time I changed the battery I put the watch under a piece of clear Tupperware so if the screw did shoot out it wouldn’t get lost. But yea putting the screw back in is a lot harder than taking it out.

So now i have a new battery, my watches are weekend wearers, should i be pulling the crown when not in use?
or does this cause uneeded wear.

So now i have a new battery, my watches are weekend wearers, should i be pulling the crown when not in use?
or does this cause uneeded wear.
Personal opinion here, but also have spoken to a fairly trustworthy watchmaker on this topic. He says that batteries discharge over time anyway, and the amount of savings you get is negligible. Plus the movement still operating keeps all the oils lubricating what they should as opposed to pooling up. I generally just keep my crowns in and for those that die, keep doing what your doing and change their batteries when they go. Now manually wound or automatics, I just let die and wind them when I decide to give them wrist time. Like another forum member said, I haven’t found a good reliable winder, and winding watches I’m not wearing isn’t very high on my to do list…

Personal opinion here, but also have spoken to a fairly trustworthy watchmaker on this topic. He says that batteries discharge over time anyway, and the amount of savings you get is negligible. Plus the movement still operating keeps all the oils lubricating what they should as opposed to pooling up. I generally just keep my crowns in and for those that die, keep doing what your doing and change their batteries when they go. Now manually wound or automatics, I just let die and wind them when I decide to give them wrist time. Like another forum member said, I haven’t found a good reliable winder, and winding watches I’m not wearing isn’t very high on my to do list…
cheers, I shall leave the crown in. Theres so many tales of crown issues id rather touch it as little as possible 👍🏻

Last edited:
I agree with this, plus you’re leaving the watch open to outside dirt, humidity, etc

Latest Posts

Back