• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Timebomb 2 Strap judging interest

Hey guys!

I've just bought a TB2 and as many of you I also started searching for a solution to reset the band size to the original (besides sending it back halfway across the world to Oakley). So I came across this thread and was reading it with optimism until I saw that the straps could not be reproduced the way Spenc thought.

So I took apart mine to examine it, and I think that I might have a solution for reproducing it! In my opinion, the unobtanium band's properties closely resemble a flexible polyurethane type's, which can be easily formed using a mold. The mold can be made several ways, a cheaper version would be to create it using silicone, but that leaves a small room for error. Another more expansive method would be to make it using 3D scanning and 3D printing. This way, the original band's size can be traced with 100% accuracy.

I would go with the 3D scanning/printing version. But for both methods I would need an original uncut band to copy. I've seen that many of you were interested in the reproduced bands. So if the interest is still high among you, I would give it a try. The only thing I need is an original uncut band to copy.

So if someone has a spare band that I could use, please send me a message.
I'll keep you guys updated!

Hey guys!

I've just bought a TB2 and as many of you I also started searching for a solution to reset the band size to the original (besides sending it back halfway across the world to Oakley). So I came across this thread and was reading it with optimism until I saw that the straps could not be reproduced the way Spenc thought.

So I took apart mine to examine it, and I think that I might have a solution for reproducing it! In my opinion, the unobtanium band's properties closely resemble a flexible polyurethane type's, which can be easily formed using a mold. The mold can be made several ways, a cheaper version would be to create it using silicone, but that leaves a small room for error. Another more expansive method would be to make it using 3D scanning and 3D printing. This way, the original band's size can be traced with 100% accuracy.

I would go with the 3D scanning/printing version. But for both methods I would need an original uncut band to copy. I've seen that many of you were interested in the reproduced bands. So if the interest is still high among you, I would give it a try. The only thing I need is an original uncut band to copy.

So if someone has a spare band that I could use, please send me a message.
I'll keep you guys updated!
Just a heads up tho the issue is all the hard plastics molded into the band. Every screw hole has a hard plastic bushing inside the rubber as well as the end of the band is a plastic piece where it attaches to the case. Without those the links would just fall off as the screws will pull through.

Im in need of a set, willing to take 2 if the price isnt too crazy
My strap flaked and ended up snapping so right now its a pocket watch to me.. id even be happy with the one on the first page that didnt pass ops stress test.
Even if i decide to not wear it anymore id like to display it in all its glory =]

Is it not possible to find out which factory in China Oakley used for the TB2 and just get in contact to ask about the mold or MOQ? The factory exists somewhere.

Ok
So I still haven’t given up just really not going to be remotely easy and expensive the original was made in Germany not China . I will have more time soon to devote to this . But I am in need of a new strap again . I did use a couple before but had them so long it was best to return . Let me know if you can help out . Spenc

Back