• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

To Pit Boss Or Not To Pit Boss

To the Pit Boss gurus. I've been an x-metal enthusiast, and have a bunch of Flak 2.0 XL for active/sports/water usage, and a small handful of other Oakleys. I completely missed the entire Pit Boss era; just never hit my radar.

I spent quite awhile reading up on them here and now understand the diff between 1 and 2. I also only came to understand that they are titanium coated, which I couldn't tell from the pics actually. I couldn't understand outside of the cool design why they are worth so much if they're just plastic/o matter. Is it the titanium and low tolerance that makes them so expensive?

I understand that crappy fashion sunglasses can cost a lot more, but generally Oakley prices tend to scale when there's more tech or when they're limited.

I'm really super interested now and genuinely looking to be schooled. Also, those who are x-metal enthusiasts and have these as well, which do you tend to reach for? I haven't see these in person, but I imagine other than the striking design, they don't really look high end; unless the metal look comes thru better in person?

I'm not looking for "are x-metals better or not" discussion. Just thoughts from those with experience as to whether the Pit Boss feels as special in-hand and on-face? Looks like the Pit Boss is discontinued; anyone know why? Just to keep the line special, or lack of sales, or something new coming out soon like it?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
I am an x metal guy but a while ago I was given a PB1 and to be honest I didn't prefer it over x metals. XX was my daily wearer as I preferred the grip of the rubber. The PB1 look awesome with the Icon and there are some great customs made from them which I think is awesome. I purchased a PB2 in the same colourway and now it is my daily wearer. From my own experience the PB2 is the best of both worlds it has rubber to grip to your head, plenty of coverage for big heads and looks pretty cool for reasonable cost. But that's my just my 2 cents which are worth about .9 of a cent now!

I am an x metal guy but a while ago I was given a PB1 and to be honest I didn't prefer it over x metals. XX was my daily wearer as I preferred the grip of the rubber. The PB1 look awesome with the Icon and there are some great customs made from them which I think is awesome. I purchased a PB2 in the same colourway and now it is my daily wearer. From my own experience the PB2 is the best of both worlds it has rubber to grip to your head, plenty of coverage for big heads and looks pretty cool for reasonable cost. But that's my just my 2 cents which are worth about .9 of a cent now!

Thanks for sharing; much appreciated!

Jokes aside, it's true. Buy both and make your own assessment. After you decide, you can sell the other ones (or keep them). As long as you purchased them at reasonable prices you shouldn't lose much/may be able to break even.

I'm still studying to figure out what the going price is on these things.

Latest Posts

Back