• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Warren Thomas

One thing I have been trying to figure out for years is Warrens “alien skin” anodizing technique. He is one of only two makers that does this type of anodizing pattern on titanium, the other maker is Geoff Blauvelt but Warren had it figured out first as far as I know. Warren Thomas was the reason I started making knives about 5 or 6 years ago and I use a lot of titanium but have yet to come even close with the anodizing. I’m pretty sure it’s a 2 step process that uses an acid etch prior to anodizing, my guess would be hydroflouric acid but cant figure out how he gets the patterns. I’ve gone through gallons of different acids and contaminated even more anodizing bath solution trying to figure it out lol. Pic below is a good example of his work, most unique anodizing from any maker out there.

248055A0-8FD0-4066-9A4A-F926460F40DB.jpeg

He said he may be interested in selling the bezel and band. It was actually called the "time tank" originally.

One thing I have been trying to figure out for years is Warrens “alien skin” anodizing technique. He is one of only two makers that does this type of anodizing pattern on titanium, the other maker is Geoff Blauvelt but Warren had it figured out first as far as I know. Warren Thomas was the reason I started making knives about 5 or 6 years ago and I use a lot of titanium but have yet to come even close with the anodizing. I’m pretty sure it’s a 2 step process that uses an acid etch prior to anodizing, my guess would be hydroflouric acid but cant figure out how he gets the patterns. I’ve gone through gallons of different acids and contaminated even more anodizing bath solution trying to figure it out lol. Pic below is a good example of his work, most unique anodizing from any maker out there.

View attachment 781288

Looks to me like he’s using a mask of something like a rag pressed against it when it’s anodized. Wad up tape or something and stick it to the surface then anodize it

Looks to me like he’s using a mask of something like a rag pressed against it when it’s anodized. Wad up tape or something and stick it to the surface then anodize it

Ive thought it might be some sort of mask but on some of his pieces the patterns are very tight and too symmetrical to be a mask as seen in the piece below. It almost looks like a stronger acid being drawn across the piece while in another type of solution to get that type of a pattern prior to anodizing.

0E4E0E34-A43D-4E96-B962-AC878E7A843F.jpeg

Ive thought it might be some sort of mask but on some of his pieces the patterns are very tight and too symmetrical to be a mask as seen in the piece below. It almost looks like a stronger acid being drawn across the piece while in another type of solution to get that type of a pattern prior to anodizing.

View attachment 784718
This knife is so bad ass

View attachment 784718
That knife is incredible, the detail, design and shape, what is the name again?

Back