• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Weekend project R1

mjt42

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
UK
Received these on Thursday from eBay and the frames had a couple of marks.

c50e5cb9d83e961b6055663c9ef16a6b.jpg

Finished on Sunday with new rubbers and Prizm Sapphire lenses from the Optical Champ.

37de766be469d01205d988558266173b.jpg
e25022666042efbd70202e58a83dfb72.jpg

About a fivers worth of wet/dry 240 - 10k grit and finished with Mothers Alu polish.

@Tavers
@Inkkoonce How are you getting on with your pair?

Received these on Thursday from eBay and the frames had a couple of marks.

View attachment 931703

Finished on Sunday with new rubbers and Prizm Sapphire lenses from the Optical Champ.

View attachment 931704View attachment 931705

About a fivers worth of wet/dry 240 - 10k grit and finished with Mothers Alu polish.

@Tavers
@Inkkoonce How are you getting on with your pair?
That’s beautiful! Damn! You did that quick. How many hours did it take you? Mine isn’t coming along good at all. I just haven’t found time. New born takes most of my free time and when I had Covid I didn’t feel like polishing ☹️Used 1 hour so far and it looks like crap at the moment. Hahah.

That’s beautiful! Damn! You did that quick. How many hours did it take you? Mine isn’t coming along good at all. I just haven’t found time. New born takes most of my free time and when I had Covid I didn’t feel like polishing Used 1 hour so far and it looks like crap at the moment. Hahah.
Took about nine or 10 hours in total. This pair came out better than my last pair as I removed a lot of casting marks left over from the factory but hidden by the coating. I done this with a Dremel with a worn abrasive wheel - a fresh one would be too aggressive.

It is an easy but totally labour intensive job - obviously you have a lot more important things to deal with at the moment!
Stick at it when you have the opportunity - it is well worth it!

Took about nine or 10 hours in total. This pair came out better than my last pair as I removed a lot of casting marks left over from the factory but hidden by the coating. I done this with a Dremel with a worn abrasive wheel - a fresh one would be too aggressive.

It is an easy but totally labour intensive job - obviously you have a lot more important things to deal with at the moment!
Stick at it when you have the opportunity - it is well worth it!
I will definitely complete it. I have some +Reds waiting for when I’m finally finished:)

Great job Mark. I have Chrome Iridium in my Polished pair but I was thinking positive Red as that lens imho definitely looks better in a light coloured frame (polished, Plasma) than a dark coloured one.
I did have some hand cut ones off @mickeyblackeyes but I think they need a bit of shaving as they are not a fit into my Polished R1 frame.

That’s beautiful! Damn! You did that quick. How many hours did it take you? Mine isn’t coming along good at all. I just haven’t found time. New born takes most of my free time and when I had Covid I didn’t feel like polishing ☹️Used 1 hour so far and it looks like crap at the moment. Hahah.
Start now with the newborn and you can have em polishing for you before they are 3

Latest Posts

Back