• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are chances Oakley re-releases X-Metal?

It really comes down to profit. Oakley produced these for years as a "brand marketing" move. With the number employees that had to touch each frame there is no way they made money on the glasses. That means if a company relaunched them they would have to charge a much higher ASP than what they went for before which would make the market much more of a niche. Then there is obviously the large capital needed to open the factories. It's sad but they will never be anything like them ever again. It would be nice if they just made new lenses and rubbers again...

It really comes down to profit. Oakley produced these for years as a "brand marketing" move. With the number employees that had to touch each frame there is no way they made money on the glasses. That means if a company relaunched them they would have to charge a much higher ASP than what they went for before which would make the market much more of a niche. Then there is obviously the large capital needed to open the factories. It's sad but they will never be anything like them ever again. It would be nice if they just made new lenses and rubbers again...

Actually there is a company that started making them that tried to get the forum to help him on a start up campaign, he said he didn’t use any Oakley patents but you could tell his nose bridge was copied from Oakley, he was going to charge 600+ a pair, but they never took off or got their quota. For value of making x-metals is just not in the market and I’ll doubt there ever will be again, I’m glad we we are a generation that had/have the opertunity to get them while they are still around.

Actually there is a company that started making them that tried to get the forum to help him on a start up campaign, he said he didn’t use any Oakley patents but you could tell his nose bridge was copied from Oakley, he was going to charge 600+ a pair, but they never took off or got their quota. For value of making x-metals is just not in the market and I’ll doubt there ever will be again, I’m glad we we are a generation that had/have the opertunity to get them while they are still around.
Wow, that's a shame. Were the frames going to be made out of titanium?

It really comes down to profit. Oakley produced these for years as a "brand marketing" move. With the number employees that had to touch each frame there is no way they made money on the glasses.

They actually made a fair deal of profit off of the X-metals back in the day. They even said as much publicly to investors and in articles back in the late 1990s. Oakley said that $250 for one pair made good profit and especially when the X-metal factory pumps out 10,000 pairs per month.

Here’s their web site

I’m pretty sure I’m the 12ish years x metals were produced they had to had make a profit.

Back