• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are chances Oakley re-releases X-Metal?

I’m pretty sure I’m the 12ish years x metals were produced they had to had make a profit.

From the most well known Oakley article...
“While nobody at Oakley will provide me with specifics, en route Reyes guarantees that X Metal sunglasses, at between $250 and $315 apiece, make the company a healthy profit.”

From the most well known Oakley article...
“While nobody at Oakley will provide me with specifics, en route Reyes guarantees that X Metal sunglasses, at between $250 and $315 apiece, make the company a healthy profit.”

It’s just common sense... why keep producing items that do not make a profit. I don’t know much about business but I do know that losing money is a bad thing.

They stopped selling as well in the end. I have no empirical data to prove it, but it's my belief that the demand dropped off to where it just wasn't worth it anymore. No company is going to kill a product that makes money. I honestly think that people just didn't need to buy them anymore. The people who really wanted them had them already. And once you had them they lasted forever if you take reasonably good care of them. They are a victim of overengineering. People didn't need to replace them. So they didn't need to buy new ones. So sales slowed, and they killed the line.

I got my Juliets and felt at the time it was the last pair of sunglasses I'd ever want or need. I mean it took me 10 years to get to the point where I felt I needed to repair/stock up on things to make my original Juliets last longer. Then...well, you guys know what happened when I started sniffing around here.... :rolleyes:

I got these almost 10 years ago today. I found my purchase order the other day in the original shipping box the other day. I wore them every day for 8 years before going down the rabbit hole. They've never been tuned, they've never been refinished I replaced the socks and nose bombs after they got oily. I still have the original BIPs in perfect shape and the FIP, Fire non polar in mint shape (shown) and spare BIP set that I got on the original order. Along with the spare rubber kit. 10 years....still perfect.

20190620_193412.jpg

Also, I agree with @Orion 100%. The X Metals are functional sunglasses. And I disagree completely that they are only pieces of art. The way they wrap to block the sun, the strength and durability, the ability to tune up, add different size bombs and shocks to fit different head sizes. The different styles to fit your needs. R1, XX, XS if you want coverage and increased field of vision, Juliet, Penny, Mars if you want a lower profile that hugs the eye sockets and blocks out side light, R2, Half X if you like sport style half rims. They are the most functional glasses I've ever owned.

Yes they are art. But they were not art pieces that "weren't functional sunglasses." Even a beat to hell ruined finish X Metal will still do everything you want it to, as long as it holds the lenses in place and fits on your face.

They stopped selling as well in the end. I have no empirical data to prove it, but it's my belief that the demand dropped off to where it just wasn't worth it anymore. No company is going to kill a product that makes money. I honestly think that people just didn't need to buy them anymore. The people who really wanted them had them already. And once you had them they lasted forever if you take reasonably good care of them. They are a victim of overengineering. People didn't need to replace them. So they didn't need to buy new ones. So sales slowed, and they killed the line.

I got my Juliets and felt at the time it was the last pair of sunglasses I'd ever want or need. I mean it took me 10 years to get to the point where I felt I needed to repair/stock up on things to make my original Juliets last longer. Then...well, you guys know what happened when I started sniffing around here.... :rolleyes:

I got these almost 10 years ago today. I found my purchase order the other day in the original shipping box the other day. I wore them every day for 8 years before going down the rabbit hole. They've never been tuned, they've never been refinished I replaced the socks and nose bombs after they got oily. I still have the original BIPs in perfect shape and the FIP, Fire non polar in mint shape (shown) and spare BIP set that I got on the original order. Along with the spare rubber kit. 10 years....still perfect.

View attachment 628099
@beau1890 You hit the nail right on the head when you said "no company is going to kill a product that makes money". I also agree with the rest of your first paragraph. I couldn't have said it better myself ;).

When I refer to x metals I include bad/madman as well. They stopped producing them sometime ago too. It was a sad day in Oakley history.
I remember when those first came out and being happy X-Metals were being made again :/ Doesn't seem that long ago, either!

Latest Posts

Back