• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What’s in my x-squared??

Mr_Green

Oakley Enthusiast
New Jersey
Took apart my x squared today for a deep cleaning. Upon examining it I found some sort of crystallized thing lodged inside the right orbital. Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to get it out?

Took apart my x squared today for a deep cleaning. Upon examining it I found some sort of crystallized thing lodged inside the right orbital. Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to get it out?

Pics? Might be glue. I just did a tuneup recently on a JE Juliet and someone in the past put glue into the left bridge coupler. After I took the pin out, the glue just fell out in one piece. It never bonded to the metal thankfully

XS has little rubber pads inside the orbital groove to act as a cushion or bumper. It gives the lens size a little leeway and prevents a rattling noise.

Sorry pics didn’t attach for some reason.
It kinda does look like glue or something. It dosent affect the lenses going in and is deep enough in there that it won’t affect lenses...just odd haha

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

That's not where the pads would normally be. I think from one of the pics I can see the pad right in the top section of the orbital groove. But it could just be casting marks that weren't ground down well in the finishing process. Orbital grooves aren't finished as nicely as the exterior usually.

But then again, it could be good old brow sweat from whoever had them before that's just settled over time in that spot and left a salt patch. 🤷‍♂️ Does it come off at all if you try to scrape it off with a toothpick or something?

That's not where the pads would normally be. I think from one of the pics I can see the pad right in the top section of the orbital groove. But it could just be casting marks that weren't ground down well in the finishing process. Orbital grooves aren't finished as nicely as the exterior usually.

But then again, it could be good old brow sweat from whoever had them before that's just settled over time in that spot and left a salt patch. Does it come off at all if you try to scrape it off with a toothpick or something?

I think it’s time you cross examined this one

But then again, it could be good old brow sweat from whoever had them before that's just settled over time in that spot and left a salt patch. 🤷‍♂️ Does it come off at all if you try to scrape it off with a toothpick or something?

Salty sweaty brow 😫🤣

Back