• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

White Chrome vs. Dark Grey frame durability

steveadorjan

Oakley Beginner
I keep reading about the various chrome and FMJ frames peeling. I've just bought a White Chrome frame in mint (as new) condition and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping it or not (in fact, I bought the complete glasses, SJII, for the +red lenses, and was planning to sell the frames at a fair price, but I have kind of taken a liking to it). Is White Chrome considered to be a "ticking timebomb" like many of the BMX Chrome or FMJ finishes? I take good care of my Oakleys, but if I keep the frames, I would actually wear them instead of just keeping them in a display case (I'm not that kind of collector). And if the White Chrome finish is prone to peeling/cracking, I'd rather just sell them now when they are still in as-new condition.

Alternatively, I'm also thinking of buying a vintage (BNIB) pair with Dark Grey frames. Is this frame colorway also considered to be prone to peeling/cracking paint? I'm only asking because they look similar to FMJ. But I haven't really found much information about Dark Grey frames.
So I'm just wondering if White Chrome or Dark Grey are equally durable (or not), especially if they are both on vintage (8-10 year old, but otherwise new condition) frames?

My white chrome pairs have held up well, no peeling thus far and even was able to safely swap lenses. I just make sure to clean after every use. On the other hand, the Pos Red lenses seem to delaminate very quickly in my experience though. I’ve replaced 3 sets of lenses for that, all Pos Red.

My white chrome pairs have held up well, no peeling thus far and even was able to safely swap lenses. I just make sure to clean after every use. On the other hand, the Pos Red lenses seem to delaminate very quickly in my experience though. I’ve replaced 3 sets of lenses for that, all Pos Red.
Thanks for the quick reply. How old are your White Chromes if I may ask? And what is your cleaning routine? Just wiping off sweat (if there is any) or more than that?

I've never had any lenses delaminate (even after 5+ years), so I hope the +Reds will hold up for a while. I do clean my lenses regularly though

My Tens and SJ2’s have some age to them lol, I’ve worn the Tens heavily (I have 2 of the SJ2’s so I rotate between them) and just always clean with the lens spray every use.

Just be careful, if it does peel in a spot. Spreads quickly. I've never had issues with non-chrome pairs. They wear over time with use, obviously. The only pair I've had paint come off of is a Flak 2.0 I use heavily...the Lead colorway. Nothing noticeable though.

As much as I love +Red lenses, almost every one of them have delaminated. :mad:

So far so good with all of my White Chrome and Black Chrome pair's finishes. They are beautiful finishes.

Good luck.
Ouch, that doesn't sound promising. I wouldn't mind stocking up on +red spare lenses for the SJ, but they are not available any more.
But are the +Reds comparatively worse than Ruby or Fire when it comes to the potential for delamination?

Latest Posts

Back