• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why 3 vs Why 8

Jellan

Oakley Expert
What differences are there between these two? I've seen that Why 3 were available in Ti and Why 8 aren't, however Why 8 has a gasket that helps protect the lenses from damage. Visually they look very similar. Would it be possible to simply add the gasket to Why 3?

A big difference in the why’s is the screw heads are on the outside on the why 3, and the why 8 has them on the inside, are you talking about the rubber gasket for the screws? There’s no gasket for the lens that I know of besides the screws

So would the C-5 that the Why 8's are made of be lighter/more durable than the X-metal that the Why 3's are made of? It's really just the material that attracts me to the earlier frame. Being able to say that you're wearing X-metal Oaks flicks a particular switch.

Why 3’s are a sweet pair, The only thing I don’t like is the screw on the front, they are pretty light
So would the C-5 that the Why 8's are made of be lighter/more durable than the X-metal that the Why 3's are made of? It's really just the material that attracts me to the earlier frame. Being able to say that you're wearing X-metal Oaks flicks a particular switch.

There’s no room unless you get longer screws to put a gasket on tho, they are shot light tho
image.jpg

image.jpg

So it’s really just Oakley changing the screws about a bit and using a different material that differentiates them?

I picked up some Why 8’s in matte black/black iridium from the ‘bay tonight, so I’ll have a go with those and see if it’s worth chasing this particular unicorn.

They are NOT xmetals just because they are made out of titanium. Xmetal was a special alloy blend and is not the same as what's used on Whys

They are NOT xmetals just because they are made out of titanium. Xmetal was a special alloy blend and is not the same as what's used on Whys

Optical engineering without boundaries, this rimless eyewear offers a wide-open vista in three optional lens shapes. It uses X Metal, a titanium alloy to retain its precision optics in a comfortable three-point fit. The earstems carry soft Unobtanium earsocks that increase grip with perspiration. Plutonite lens material maintains durable protection against harmful UV rays. Prescription ready.

🤔

Back