• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is it wrong to out thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had f&f transactions with said individual since his parting of the forum. I'm sorry you had a bad deal. On a side note, Wendy has the whitest teeth I've ever come across
Screenshot_20200511-185735.png

I don’t understand why my topic was shut down
all members should know when a former member has been ripping people off,offering free giveaways with stuff from another member
this is not a few dollars we’re talking about
im trying to give the members back what they gave me by alerting me to a scammer
I applaud you for speaking up. More transparency is definitely needed around here.

This has come up in several threads recently, and I will address it once again Will be locking this thread after this post before it just becomes a cess-pool of comments like the other dozen threads we have had on this. Happy to discuss any responses to these reasons over a logical discussion in PM's.

The reason its banned is several reasons (and to caveat, this is not singling out any member, these are the trends I've observed over 10+ years of this site).

1) Everyone jumps to conclusions - People get emotional and everyone wants to post a thread bashing a member, everyone grabs their pitchforks, posts screenshots gets everyone riled up - but in the end there are always 2 sides to a story. In about 99% of cases, the "Scammer" was on vacation, away from his computer, doesn't log in as much as you etc. and the buyer only got nervous because they (against forum rules) paid F&F. Everyone wants to save $5 on a deal, until they realize they aren't dealing with Amazon and don't get a response in 5 minutes - then it's that they got "scammed". These threads blow up, fights ensure and in the end nothing gets solved, it usually ends with the buyer saying "Oh please delete they just PM'd". Sure 1% might be legitimate, but those should be handled via PayPal / Feedback on the site here (see point #2), and in my opinion do not justify the 99% of other deals.

2) Threads Fade, Feedback Lasts Forever - Threads/Discussions are great for a while, per the point above, everyone can pile on and make you feel better that you are "right" in a deal, but ultimately you're not helping anyone long term. You got short term validation, but after a week, a month - that thread is buried in whatever discussion it was posted in, several pages deep that someone will be unlikely to find. Instead, you can leave feedback, you give them a rating, leave facts and details about the sale, what went wrong etc. This will effect their rating and is easily found by any member trying to do a deal with that member in the future. Additionally, We do monitor feedback for trends among members and ban as appropriate.

2a) On this topic, I feel to front run the "Retaliatory feedback" argument. Yes, this may occur here, everyone does and should have an ability to provide feedback. Firstly, we are working on a solution similar to eBay where no one see's feedback until both members provide it. In the interim, every member has the opportunity to "reply" to feedback, similar to Yelp, providing your side of the story in-line with any negative feedback. This allows any members to see the details in full, and make their own decision. In the end we are looking to solve this.

On a closing note - Do we ever want anyone to get scammed? No, that is the exact opposite of what should happen here - and truthfully from everything I've seen I would guess that less than 1% (likely less) of transactions on here have any element of "bad". For these transactions, if you have taken appropriate steps to protect your self (e.g PayPal), you should be perfectly fine - hence why the rule exists.

In the end, these points above have always seemed logical to me, and I would be happy to discuss / address any gaps members can point out via PM so that we can protect our members.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back