• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Will Frogskins take a -4.50 Sph prescription?

FrogSkinny

Oakley Beginner
Will Frogskins take a -4.50 Sph prescription lens?

My first pair of Oakleys were some black Frogskins with Iridium lenses from the late 80s. I didn't need prescription lenses back then. Back then Iridium lenses only came in one tint: the orange tint that years later they would later call "Fire" Iridium lenses.

So that's what I'm trying to recreate over 30 years later. Some black Frogskins with Fire Iridium lenses, except this time with prescription lenses.

I also realize I have a reasonably strong prescription. Yeah I know I don't have like a -8.00 RX with coke bottle lenses or anything, but most of the sunglass frames on oakley.com say they my prescription is too strong to fit. Would I be better off getting "regular" (non-sunglass) prescription frames and try getting the Fire Iridium lenses cut for them? Do any places even do that? On the Oakley website they would not allow me to order prescription sunglass lenses in a non-sunglass frame. I was thinking maybe a Plank 2.0 or a Holbrook RX frame. Although I would much prefer a Frogskin or standard (not the RX version) Holbrook frame.

Will Frogskins take a -4.50 Sph prescription lens?

My first pair of Oakleys were some black Frogskins with Iridium lenses from the late 80s. I didn't need prescription lenses back then. Back then Iridium lenses only came in one tint: the orange tint that years later they would later call "Fire" Iridium lenses.

So that's what I'm trying to recreate over 30 years later. Some black Frogskins with Fire Iridium lenses, except this time with prescription lenses.

I also realize I have a reasonably strong prescription. Yeah I know I don't have like a -8.00 RX with coke bottle lenses or anything, but most of the sunglass frames on oakley.com say they my prescription is too strong to fit. Would I be better off getting "regular" (non-sunglass) prescription frames and try getting the Fire Iridium lenses cut for them? Do any places even do that? On the Oakley website they would not allow me to order prescription sunglass lenses in a non-sunglass frame. I was thinking maybe a Plank 2.0 or a Holbrook RX frame. Although I would much prefer a Frogskin or standard (not the RX version) Holbrook frame.

@Chris A Hardaway.

I think frogs go to -5.00 or -6.00 total power. It's labor day weekend so i don't have the info handy.

If you're sphere and cylinder are both minus (-) the sum cannot exceed those total powers. If you are above -5.00 total sum i can double check later. @O Bro might know too?

I think frogs go to -5.00 or -6.00 total power. It's labor day weekend so i don't have the info handy.

If you're sphere and cylinder are both minus (-) the sum cannot exceed those total powers. If you are above -5.00 total sum i can double check later. @O Bro might know too?
Thanks for your reply. The cylinder on my prescription is -1.25 which would add up to over -5.00 total power.

Here is another question. I also wear contacts, and I don't wear toric lenses or anything. So when I'm wearing contacts I'm just wearing a regular -4.50 spherical prescription without any cylinder correction and I don't really notice any difference in vision. Do you think there would be a big difference if I just skipped the cylinder correction on sunglasses like with the contacts?

Thanks for your reply. The cylinder on my prescription is -1.25 which would add up to over -5.00 total power.

Here is another question. I also wear contacts, and I don't wear toric lenses or anything. So when I'm wearing contacts I'm just wearing a regular -4.50 spherical prescription without any cylinder correction and I don't really notice any difference in vision. Do you think there would be a big difference if I just skipped the cylinder correction on sunglasses like with the contacts?
You'll have to ask your doctor if they would do that for you in glasses. You'll need the copy of rx to order. Contacts work differently. So yes, you'll see much worse from glasses without cylinder. I can't go into details but wearing contacts leaves a tear lens. Layer of tears between eye surface and contact. That's fixing your astigmatism. Glasses don't create that tear lens so your vision would suffer

You'll have to ask your doctor if they would do that for you in glasses. You'll need the copy of rx to order. Contacts work differently. So yes, you'll see much worse from glasses without cylinder. I can't go into details but wearing contacts leaves a tear lens. Layer of tears between eye surface and contact. That's fixing your astigmatism. Glasses don't create that tear lens so your vision would suffer

Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

Back