• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wiretap 2.0 - Difference between RX frame and normal frame?

BatChao

Oakley Beginner
Hi all! My optometrist prescribed blue light blocking lenses and a small RX recently so I thought it was a good excuse to finally get to try out some Prizm Gaming lenses. I wanted to try them on a pair of WireTap 2.0 RX and I noticed that the RX eyeglass frames are much more expensive than the sunglass frames. The most exepsnive sunglass WireTap 2.0 are $184 with the Prizm Daily lenses. But just the frames alone for the eyeglass versions are $320! Anyone know why this is? Is it possible to just get the sunglass frames and put RX Prizm Gaming lenses in them or do they have to go into the eyeglass frames? Thanks in advance for any help!

Prizm Sapphire Wire Tap 2.0
Eyeglass Wire Tap 2.0

I'm pretty certain that the price of the RX frames includes the service price to make the selected lens match a prescription and that the frame itself is no different. So basically $184 + The cost to get the lens in Prescription.

Also not all Prizm lenses are available to all Frames. So while the gaming lens may be RX'able, they may not be an option for that specific frame.

Hi all! My optometrist prescribed blue light blocking lenses and a small RX recently so I thought it was a good excuse to finally get to try out some Prizm Gaming lenses. I wanted to try them on a pair of WireTap 2.0 RX and I noticed that the RX eyeglass frames are much more expensive than the sunglass frames. The most exepsnive sunglass WireTap 2.0 are $184 with the Prizm Daily lenses. But just the frames alone for the eyeglass versions are $320! Anyone know why this is? Is it possible to just get the sunglass frames and put RX Prizm Gaming lenses in them or do they have to go into the eyeglass frames? Thanks in advance for any help!

Prizm Sapphire Wire Tap 2.0
Eyeglass Wire Tap 2.0
The Rx glasses are titanium, the sunglass version is made of c5. Also the Rx version is 6 base whereas the sunglass is 8.75 I believe. the base curve shouldn’t change the price but it is different.

The Rx glasses are titanium, the sunglass version is made of c5. Also the Rx version is 6 base whereas the sunglass is 8.75 I believe. the base curve shouldn’t change the price but it is different.
You wouldn't think titanium alone would change the price that much if it's not including the prescription lens. Since the Savitars are less than 100 more.

Exactly, spot on, I was wondering about a pair with transition lenses (either frame), they are very different. From memory I had a similar thing with Blender Sunglasses vs RX Glasses a few years back, from memory the spectacle was called 6B in reference to the curve where I believe the sunglasses was 8.75 or similar too.

You wouldn't think titanium alone would change the price that much if it's not including the prescription lens. Since the Savitars are less than 100 more.
Absolutely, but I think in the Glasses range 3 or 4 years back there was a huge difference price wise between Tincup and Tincup Carbons (although I appreciate that was Carbon Fibre not Titanium).

Absolutely, but I think in the Glasses range 3 or 4 years back there was a huge difference price wise between Tincup and Tincup Carbons (although I appreciate that was Carbon Fibre not Titanium).
Though carbon fiber is a different beast all together and seemed to have gained popularity (hence demand to increase price), like I see carbon fiber rings now days for 100+ just for the carbon fiber in acrylic.

But I guess if they can get the price they ask...

Ah - thanks for all the info, everyone! I was hoping I could skirt by and just get the sunglass frames and place my RX eyeglass lens in to save a few hundred bucks them but sounds like that's a no go! All good!

Ah - thanks for all the info, everyone! I was hoping I could skirt by and just get the sunglass frames and place my RX eyeglass lens in to save a few hundred bucks them but sounds like that's a no go! All good!
You probably could if it was already made for that specific frame unless they glue/etc rx lenses in (but I would think you could still just swap em in case you need sports specific RX lenses for a frame).

Back