• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals as investments

Just based on how durable, well made, and the craftsmanship that was involved will keep the value up. Jim Jannard’s famous saying about “Everything can and will be made better” isn’t what most companies care about anymore, including Lux. Most companies philosophy is “Everything can and will be made more cheaply for higher profits.” —At the same time I don’t really consider them an investment, it’s a hobby I enjoy, and if I happen to make a few bucks down the road then it’s gravy.

While I would love to look at X Metals as some sort of equity, for me, it's just something I think is cool that I am passionate about. Case and point, I will never sell my XX or my XS and plan to get a Penny or Juliet one day. I have 3 kids and plan to pass a pair on to each with the understanding these frames are made to last their entire lifetime and then some. Will they ever have great inherent value? Most likely not. Yes, the craftsmanship is second to none and the build materials and engineering is a crazy feat, but to me, its passing a bit of 90's on to my kids and subsequently their kids. I won't be around to see that day, most likely, but I will impart the importance to my kids of one of the greatest achievements of the 20th century.
Sounds cheesy I guess, but that is what sold me on X Metals in the first place. Sure, the forums are cool, but for a dude who has broken and lost every pair of sunglasses up until 2014 or so, it's nice to know why x metals are worth what they are. They will last your lifetime. That has a huge inherent value to me. If Oakley/Lux 3d prints new ones tomorrow, the old hand chiseled ones will still be worth more. 3 weeks 75 pairs of hands vs 3d Titanium printer. I'm going with the former. ;)

I just like to feel like Ethan Hunt.

IMG_20210308_170200815_HDR~4.jpg

That MI2 teaser trailer that first came out in late 1999/early 2000 was what first got me hooked on Oakley. I went out and bought a pair of Romeos after seeing the trailer. I thought the movie itself sucked when it eventually came out, but that was one of the best teaser trailers ever in my opinion.
I was 15, so it was the coolest movie in the world to me at that time. Two years later, I was able to afford* the Juliets with graduation money.

*I'm pretty sure they were $275. The Romeos were like $350? (2002) and huge on my 17 year old head.

36 year old me comfortably wears the Romeos now, but had to retire the Juliets some years ago (too narrow) to upgrade to XX.

I was 15, so it was the coolest movie in the world to me at that time. Two years later, I was able to afford* the Juliets with graduation money.

*I'm pretty sure they were $275. The Romeos were like $350? (2002) and huge on my 17 year old head.

36 year old me comfortably wears the Romeos now, but had to retire the Juliets some years ago (too narrow) to upgrade to XX.
I was in my mid 20’s at the time. The time I bought them, both the Romeos and Juliets cost $250 each. Which were the most expensive pair I had ever bought at the time. I then bought a Juliet about a year later.

Very interesting thread. I think x metal values will stay high IMO. Quality glasses can’t be mass produced, so any enthusiast who wants durable eyewear can appreciate the price increase.

the aggressive design, sustainability and durability keep these in the higher bracket of collecting.

the days of “100 dollar mars” are a needle in hay stack

This was the Mars eBay seller, they had a crate of Mars and sold through them over time. It was a great investment for them, still selling residual components:
eyeframesman on eBay

Latest Posts

Back