• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals as investments

That’s what people said about mars last 3 years ago..,.crazy how high some of these are now.
The good news is that the market seems to have leveled off a bit recently .
I've seen a couple Mars' go for around the $700 mark w/o box recently....
It's really a double edged sword if you are buying in the market while at the same time watching your XM's value go up or down.

I never really saw my Juliets as an investment, just an expensive gift. When I brought them out to see sunlight again in 2017 after being in dark drawer with beaten down lenses, I knew I was gonna have to spend money to make them wearable again. I've spent around close to $400 to go from this
20170707_110522-1.jpg

To this
20220725_205812.jpg

So if I were to sell it I would probably break even or lose maybe $80 or so. But since I don't have the box, just the sunglasses and the coin, I'm not even gonna make a small fortune from it. These are sentimental anyway, wouldn't dream of selling them. My mom bought them for me for my HS graduation 🎓 I thank her from time to time when I see her. Even though she recently bought me some sunglasses from the gas station 😂 I wear those too if I'm at a shady part of L.A.

Speaking of investments a little off-topic: I don't care what WallSteetSilver says, silver will never shoot to the moon, I don't see silver as an investment anymore, not even as wealth preservation. I've actually lost money with it so I'm an inch away from selling a few silver eagles to supplement for a pair of X-squared or X Metal XX. I'll rather take what I “invested” in silver precious metal, and buy and enjoy another X-Metal.

Last edited:
The analogies with stocks seems pretty accurate -- A lot of time with stocks you buy and you hold (unless you're a day trader).

Will I break even selling off my X-Metals? Probably not. On the other hand, it's still a pretty hefty chunk of change if push comes to shove and it's something to enjoy in the meantime.

The analogies with stocks seems pretty accurate -- A lot of time with stocks you buy and you hold (unless you're a day trader).

Will I break even selling off my X-Metals? Probably not. On the other hand, it's still a pretty hefty chunk of change if push comes to shove and it's something to enjoy in the meantime.
we all have to consider inflation as a part of investment strategy. Just because someone paid 600 for a penny x metal today doesnt mean its the same value 2 years from now. Its not that xmetals in general are going up, the value of the dollar is going down. Its really all relative.

If you get them at really good prices, thats a whole another story.

You cant really weigh stocks the same way, because they arent tangible investments. You cant hold them with your hand, so to speak.

I was more keeping it simple for the sake of analogy and not going into tangible/intangible assets -- If we did want to compare stocks vs Oakleys, it's not like Oakleys will pay you dividends either LOL

Good point on the inflation part though, which muddies the waters up a bit on breaking even (if you sell the glasses today for a higher price than when you purchased them 10 years ago, did you REALLY make a profit?)

Speaking of investments a little off-topic: I don't care what WallSteetSilver says, silver will never shoot to the moon, I don't see silver as an investment anymore, not even as wealth preservation. I've actually lost money with it so I'm an inch away from selling a few silver eagles to supplement for a pair of X-squared or X Metal XX. I'll rather take what I “invested” in silver precious metal, and buy and enjoy another X-Metal.
Wow, you really feel that way huh? I have probably close to 10lbs of silver socked away in the hopes that it will someday be $50 or $60/oz..
(I have been pretty lucky with buying it though, probably 2/3 of it was bought around ~$14/oz spot)

Back