• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX X metal cleaning

Robpresto

Oakley Beginner
Hello, Happy Thanksgiving to you all and thanks for letting me join the forum, hopefully I have posted in the correct area.
I bought a pair of XX X Metal back in 2002 and have dug them out to start wearing them again, unfortunately I cannot find the box but I believe them to be the Tlo2 frame with black iridium lenses, serial # XT025373. I have ordered new lenses, rubbers and gaskets from OXM and my question is on the frame condition. When you look at them fully assembled they don’t look too bad for their age but when I dismantled them the frames have black marks on them especially where the lenses and nose pads were fitted . I have cleaned them with hot soapy water and soft brush but it will not shift the marks. I didn’t want to use and abrasive cleaner in case I damaged them, any suggestions on what I should use for cleaning or could this be corrosion of some kind?

976C9DC2-FBE4-432D-92CB-FA00532A9C0E.jpeg

ADAFB895-4593-44DE-9989-BF039A56A443.jpeg

F80594D2-F296-49A2-95A4-F35782C28072.jpeg

60BD0E08-7370-452B-BFA6-D9A6421236EB.jpeg

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am based in the UK and as you can imagine I have spent a lot already on importing the spares I have ordered. I was originally considering sending them to the US for a refurb but the costs mount up and I am not sure I trust posting them.

Yes, buddy.

I can get them cerakoted for you. Looks like it is just the orbitals that need doing. I can get them done for you but it takes a couple of weeks for them to be done. Would you want them retuning with new couplers and pins?

Mike

Yes, buddy.

I can get them cerakoted for you. Looks like it is just the orbitals that need doing. I can get them done for you but it takes a couple of weeks for them to be done. Would you want them retuning with new couplers and pins?

Mike
That would be great thanks, I have ordered all new parts from OXM and they are on the way, the only thing I did not order is the orbital and temple screws as the old ones were ok and they wanted $7 per screw :(.
I think I would be ok putting them back together myself.
Can you let me know how much it would be.
regards
Rob

If you’re one step from refinish the Frame try any kind of polish. Start at the Nosepads first. First Gen. Plasma is a bitch and stains easy. 90% off the discoloration will come of with like a car polish or a metal polish. Start with the least abrasive compound and increase step by step.
If you still think of refinish @NuttyOAK13Y is your guy. I have turned a bad Gen.1 Plasma into a X-Metal finish by Sand blasting.
Looks 98% OEM.

Last edited:
That would be great thanks, I have ordered all new parts from OXM and they are on the way, the only thing I did not order is the orbital and temple screws as the old ones were ok and they wanted $7 per screw :(.
I think I would be ok putting them back together myself.
Can you let me know how much it would be.
regards
Rob
Hi Rob

I would be very careful putting them back together. You need the right machine to do it properly. But, that is up to you. For cerakoting the orbitals it would be £65. The cerakote paint is very expensive.

Let me know buddy.

Mike