• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX X Metal G30

Andre-v8

Oakley Expert
As a @cacatman advice me Id covered the step by step work on transforming a Radarlock G30 lens on XX X Metal G30 lenses for my beater XX.

-Cover the donor lens with a painter tape and figure the best place to put the old lens, press one against the other to have the curvature match a little.
-Trace the edge of the old lens on the donor lens with a small exacto knife
-Take the tape off of the place youll grind, ill help you with the dremmel
XX G30 (5).JPG

-Use the Dremmel sandpaper barrel and grind it leaving as little as you can without touching the tape, I leave 1mm or more because I have no practice with it and to be safe and use half the Dremmel speed...
XX G30 (9).JPG

-Now its time to use the sandpaper, ive used a 200 grit sand paper to grind faster the edges left and almost match the tape forms
XX G30 (6).JPG

-Always trial fit!!!With the old lens and than on the frame
XX G30 (10).JPG

-The Radarlock lens looks thicker than the OEM XX 24k
XX G30 (11).JPG

-Here you may see were the lens force the frame, grind were it happens!!!
-Try, try, try and try again...
-Use 1200 grit to smooth the edges and chamfer...
XX G30 (13).JPG
XX G30 (1).JPG
XX G30 (21).JPG

Something Ive learned is to not grind too much on the edges to chamfer the back of the lens, some chamfer will be visible if you go too far...
My beater, daily driver XX looks a lot better now and I can not see any distortion, Ill use it more and If I find some problem Ill post it here
Thanks

XX G30 (1).JPG

XX G30 (2).JPG

XX G30 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Really turned out nice. I agree shield lenses, and SI industrial type lenses are much thicker than OEM. XX Xmetal from what I remember never came in polarized either, so any polarized lens will be about 0.3-0.5mm thicker also. As you mentioned beveling or chamfering the edges will help it slide in easier.

Great job. Now if you like those lenses send everyone in the USA to me! I have a set of Prizm Golf and G30 iridium lenses in which I love holding for the right collector or wearer :)
CONGRATS ON THE HARD WORK PAYING OFF!

Really turned out nice. I agree shield lenses, and SI industrial type lenses are much thicker than OEM. XX Xmetal from what I remember never came in polarized either, so any polarized lens will be about 0.3-0.5mm thicker also. As you mentioned beveling or chamfering the edges will help it slide in easier.

Great job. Now if you like those lenses send everyone in the USA to me! I have a set of Prizm Golf and G30 iridium lenses in which I love holding for the right collector or wearer :)
CONGRATS ON THE HARD WORK PAYING OFF!
Chris
Ill still try To get your golfs for XX, as I said US$ are very expensive now and these G30 was a real steal.
The G30 Iridium is a very nice lens too.
Thanks!!!

Thanks guys...
Not bad for a second atempt at all.
Im sure with more practice the results would be better!!!