• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1999 Juliets

smurnahan

Oakley Beginner
Atlanta, GA
Ok, I am a total noob looking for info most of y’all probably know off the top of your head. Please don’t destroy me. 😂

On a ski trip in 2002, I bought a pair of polished Juliets with polarized fire lenses on a whim. I almost can’t put into words how cool they looked skiing, but I ended up putting them in a drawer when I got home; they were a bit flashy for just driving to the grocery store. I’ve maybe worn them 3 times total. I ran across them last weekend while going through that chest and decided to take them out of the box.

The foam underneath the sunglasses had disintegrated into some sort of sticky dust. 😒 The semi-circular piece of foam wasn’t much better, but it didn’t fall out like the bottom foam did. I was pleased to see that I kept the papers, the Oakley protective bag, and the rubber inserts that change the tightness of the frames at the temples. (I still had the receipt in there!) The coin lodged in the box indicates they are 1999 Juliets.

I cleaned off the sunglasses and they look great – the one flaw, which sort of puzzles me, is that the polarized coating on the right-side lens is clearly deteriorating. It’s not noticeable unless you look closely where the lens goes beneath the frame at the top. But I am surprised because they have virtually never been worn. Apart from that, the lenses look brand new. The word “polarized” is etched into the inside of the left lens at the bottom.

I don’t know anything about Oakley X-Metals or where mine fit in that family tree. (I did use another post on here to confirm that the serial number, JP004671, is correct for the model identified on the box.) So I was curious about X-Metals generally, how the ones I have compare (or perhaps don’t compare 🤣) to other pairs, and why they were discontinued. I also wondered whether there is rubber inside the nose bridge area that I might need to get replaced, or around the screws that hold the lenses in place – there appears to be something black in there operating essentially like a washer, but I am NOT taking them apart to find out. It looks like the X-Man Custom Corner is a good choice for refurbishing?

Any info appreciated! Thanks all.

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3263.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

Nice pair and welcome ! Clean out and get rid of that nasty foam/dust. If they feel loose at the bridge , they will need a "tune up". Plenty of options out there for service. All lenses are ticking time bombs , but xmetal frames......they will outlive all of us. Real oakley at its best.

Nice pair and welcome ! Clean out and get rid of that nasty foam/dust. If they feel loose at the bridge , they will need a "tune up". Plenty of options out there for service. All lenses are ticking time bombs , but xmetal frames......they will outlive all of us. Real oakley at its best.
Thanks so much! I’m glad I didn’t do anything (that I’m aware of) to cause the damage to the lens.

polished are my fave along with Carbon. If they are not loose on your head then the nose gasket is probably ok. The lenses can be easily removed (if you have the right torx screwdriver) and replaced with OEM if you can find them or custom cuts from @Chris A Hardaway. @Linegear Japan sells replacement rubber if OEM is not important to you but you can find that here as well.

No problem.
Hey, I don’t want to put you or anyone else here to any trouble, but if you knew which threads or links I would use to see what options are available for ruby lenses (aftermarket or OEM ok) for these, I would be super-grateful. I am a comic book geek and would like to make that change, especially since my fire lenses are not doing so hot at this point. Thanks for any info. 🙏🏼

Hey, I don’t want to put you or anyone else here to any trouble, but if you knew which threads or links I would use to see what options are available for ruby lenses (aftermarket or OEM ok) for these, I would be super-grateful. I am a comic book geek and would like to make that change, especially since my fire lenses are not doing so hot at this point. Thanks for any info. 🙏🏼
This is your man: https://www.oakleyforum.com/members/walter-langkowski.16374/

Back