• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone have experience copper plating magnesium?

N Jenner

Oakley Expert
Looking for advice from the copper plating gurus on here. Currently stripping another mag switch and didn’t have a finish in mind yet but the thought of copper plating is high on my list. I’ve copper plated titanium, nickel, and a few unknown steels before but never messed with trying to plate magnesium. I know that it’s a reactive metal so adhesion might be a pita but I’m thinking of going for a more corroded looking finish with some copper mixed in that’s been oxidized to a blue green on the edges and a brighter copper mixed throughout on the frame. I’m pretty sure it would react about the same as aluminum since magnesium is right next to it for how reactive the material is so any pointers from people who have messed with plating aluminum would be helpful as well. Ill list my main questions below.

Is adhesion an issue? Will the copper simply rub off easy afterwards?

Should I attempt nickel plating the frame first? ( sometimes recommended on aluminum before plating with another metal )

What kind of surface prep other than it being super clean with no oils?

Would any type of acid bath prep help to open up the pores for better adhesion? ( I usually use hydrofluoric acid for prepping titanium prior to anodizing or plating )

low voltage and slow plating? Or do higher voltages work better?

I‘ll more than likely source a chunk of magnesium to mess around with first prior to attempting the frame but any pointers to avoid a bunch of wasted time and batches of contaminated electrolyte would help out.:headbang:

Back