• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Asking Too Much of RX Glasses ?

AED

Oakley Enthusiast
Was in for an eye exam, and needed new glasses to update a 3 year old plus pair. Saw the HNBL, but shop asking some ridiculous price and wait time, Went directly to Oakley, got them in about a week.

Its a progressive, and transition lens. Compared to a past pair, using an Oakley Hyperlink Frame, they’re not working out. Fine for most needs, but when sitting at a desktop computer, hard to find the best focus spot to read emails, etc. I’m in Arizona and the transition lens are barely darkening, vs my old Oakley pair darken to black. On these HNBL, one lens seems to have a wavey effect of sorts when darkening, looking mottled. They do not darken at all when driving.

The wife, who wore glasses most of her life, advised it may be the curvature of the lens and to carry sunglasses for driving.

Am I asking too much to just have the one pair for both…eye glasses and sunglasses? Also, if Oakley advises it may be the choice of the HNBL, what would be a close alternate, Gascan, Turbine, Det Cord?

Last edited:
I don't know what HNBL is, but I know that photocromatic (or transition) lenses do not darken well inside the car because the windshield has a UV filter applied, so the lenses don't get activated to turn dark as much.
I don't know how your old Oakley pair turned dark in the car, but probably because of the quality of the lenses. I know that ZEISS makes some photocromatic lenses that darken a bit more than the regular ones inside a car. They were made specifically to combat that issue.

Latest Posts

Back