• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Issues with Oakley Digital Lens

phased

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

Long time glasses wearer with a pretty steady prescription of the following (although my right eye was tweaked in my test last month).

Right; Sphere: -0.5, Cylinder -2.75 x 95 (2019; Sphere: -0.75, Cylinder -2.5 x 95)

Left; Sphere: -.25, Cylinder -2.25 x 75

I wear my glasses a lot – but not all of the day as my vision without is okay. But definitely for driving, sports and tv, computer-use, reading, etc.

Anyway, my new glasses (Oakley Centreboard, size small) have Oakley digital lenses from OPSM here in Australia. I was really sold on these as providing the clearest vision throughout the lens. And while I get good vision out of these, for say, the top two-thirds of the lens, the lowest third really suffers. Which probably wouldn't be so much of an issue if I didn't rely on them for reading!

I have compared them with my old, regular non-digital lens glasses and I have obviously clearer peripheral vision in these. Top third, bottom third, it doesn't really matter – clear vision is maintained. I hypothesis that the 'optical centre' might be a little lower/more central in the regular lens and explains why I perceive clearer vision throughout (happy to be corrected here!).

I've gone back to the optical dispenser and she confirmed the new glasses are as per the spec and explained the issue I'm having reading as either being me requiring multi-focals (which I reject because my old pair, same left-eye prescription, are fine for reading) or that I'm not adjusting the the digital lens. Perhaps because I've been wearing regular lenses most of my life. Although I've worn the new glasses for 3 weeks already she suggested I continue wearing them for another 2 in case my eyes come around and adjust. If they don't, she suggested we ditch the digital lenses and just go back to a regular lens.

I must say I'm a little dubious on both these pieces of advice so asking here for a second opinion! Why am I getting worse vision throughout the lens with a digital lens? And should it really take so long to adjust given my prescription is fairly consistent with the last? Many TIA

Thanks. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Chris - is the Oakley True Digital system a sophisticated digital system? I've heard this varies between manufacturers.

And what constitutes a good or proper fitting? All they did for my fitting was take a quick front-on photo wearing the glasses, having mounted some sort of measurement device on the frame. (Looked like a more basic version of a Optikam.) Should it be as simple as this?

I can say that all Luxottica stores (oakley, lenscrafters) use Accufit, which is a digital measurement tool. All that requires is a picture from the front, which is probably what they did. It's pretty accurate, usually to within half a mm is adjusted correctly.

Hi all,

Long time glasses wearer with a pretty steady prescription of the following (although my right eye was tweaked in my test last month).

Right; Sphere: -0.5, Cylinder -2.75 x 95 (2019; Sphere: -0.75, Cylinder -2.5 x 95)

Left; Sphere: -.25, Cylinder -2.25 x 75

I wear my glasses a lot – but not all of the day as my vision without is okay. But definitely for driving, sports and tv, computer-use, reading, etc.

Anyway, my new glasses (Oakley Centreboard, size small) have Oakley digital lenses from OPSM here in Australia. I was really sold on these as providing the clearest vision throughout the lens. And while I get good vision out of these, for say, the top two-thirds of the lens, the lowest third really suffers. Which probably wouldn't be so much of an issue if I didn't rely on them for reading!

I have compared them with my old, regular non-digital lens glasses and I have obviously clearer peripheral vision in these. Top third, bottom third, it doesn't really matter – clear vision is maintained. I hypothesis that the 'optical centre' might be a little lower/more central in the regular lens and explains why I perceive clearer vision throughout (happy to be corrected here!).

I've gone back to the optical dispenser and she confirmed the new glasses are as per the spec and explained the issue I'm having reading as either being me requiring multi-focals (which I reject because my old pair, same left-eye prescription, are fine for reading) or that I'm not adjusting the the digital lens. Perhaps because I've been wearing regular lenses most of my life. Although I've worn the new glasses for 3 weeks already she suggested I continue wearing them for another 2 in case my eyes come around and adjust. If they don't, she suggested we ditch the digital lenses and just go back to a regular lens.

I must say I'm a little dubious on both these pieces of advice so asking here for a second opinion! Why am I getting worse vision throughout the lens with a digital lens? And should it really take so long to adjust given my prescription is fairly consistent with the last? Many TIA
Had same problem not with oakleys tho. I have like -4.75 and -3.25 plus astigmatism. I found anything over a 5 base curve your vision is distorted at the edges. I got Rudy project Horus that worked well but have smaller lenses and weird look. I also had lens inserts that were great except for 4 surfaces to fog or get dirty.

Back