• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Beater Split Jacket recoat project

Xformr

I should Work at Oakley
VA
Well, not really sure exactly what I was thinking, but got super bored after work. I've had these Splits for years, and them being so comfortable, I wore these so much in college that they became my beater pair. For some dumb reason, back then, I gave it the ol' college try recoating these matte black from polished with a 2-in-1 rattle can in the dorm courtyard, to much frustration of the R.A. You can see hints of crappy, lazy, beer-inspired college kid work. Now I'm leaving out the college kid part. Definitely still beer inspired.

Now it's time for a more proper, yet imperfect coat to breath new in some personality. Had them disassembled and ready to get dipped this evening and just went for it. Good news is, if I turns out like manure, I can strip it down and start again... I mow the lawn in these, so whatever, right?

Before-ish
20170710_213430.jpg
20170710_213500.jpg

Frame paint
20170710_224818.jpg

Orbital paint
20170710_224856.jpg

Kinda digging the orbital/jaw piece style and might end up that full direction. Just might repaint the whole thing that way.

What do y'all think?

What kind of paint did you use?

Tough to tell by the pics but looks like you might have some paint buildup in some areas. That might affect the movement of the earstems or lower jaws.

Looks pretty cool, durability might be in question, unless you aren't concerned about that.

If you haven't seen some of the work other's have done head over to the DIY/Modding section.

I'm teetering on getting into painting myself. Taking a slower route to get there for sure.

It was my first attempt at a hydrodip using rust-oleum rattlers; some youtube engineering, so nothin fancy.

In the picture, there are still some water droplets (and some excess paint that gets rinsed off) on it from when it just came out of the bucket. I hope that's what you see, but I'm not convinced at all it's a smooth, even finish by any means. Haha!

Also, the way the paint pattern came out, it looks like there are lines and creases all over. I'm not terribly sold on it yet, but it's gotta dry before I can make the final call. However, the orbital/jaw pieces came out fantastic and just about exactly what I pictured. Before it's said & done, that'll probably be where this frame lands. They're my super beater pair I sweat in all day when working outside (if you saw through the lenses I use, every one here would cry). The sweat part is where I do have some concern over time on durability, but these won't exactly be publicly worn. Just something fun to do out of boredom.

I've seen the many masters of the forum and practically live in their threads. I love their work and creativity.
I've got some Juliets on their way out to have a custom paint job done correctly by one of the gods.

It was my first attempt at a hydrodip using rust-oleum rattlers; some youtube engineering, so nothin fancy.

In the picture, there are still some water droplets (and some excess paint that gets rinsed off) on it from when it just came out of the bucket. I hope that's what you see, but I'm not convinced at all it's a smooth, even finish by any means. Haha!

Also, the way the paint pattern came out, it looks like there are lines and creases all over. I'm not terribly sold on it yet, but it's gotta dry before I can make the final call. However, the orbital/jaw pieces came out fantastic and just about exactly what I pictured. Before it's said & done, that'll probably be where this frame lands. They're my super beater pair I sweat in all day when working outside (if you saw through the lenses I use, every one here would cry). The sweat part is where I do have some concern over time on durability, but these won't exactly be publicly worn. Just something fun to do out of boredom.

I've seen the many masters of the forum and practically live in their threads. I love their work and creativity.
I've got some Juliets on their way out to have a custom paint job done correctly by one of the gods.

Yeah I think that's what I was seeing the water. Well, pretty cool for a first attempt. I always like when someone is willing to take a chance, even if other's have figured out a proven way of doing something. Just because it's been done, doesn't mean it can't be done with the same results another way.

Kudos for giving this a try. I'm starting down a DIY path, myself, but very slowly. I'm trying to understand some of the science behind it and have been getting help from some of the veterans. What I'm doing has been done by other's with amazing results, but I'm finding fun in the discovery process.

Keep up the innovation, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks, brotha.
At the salt mines now (although my mind is at home), so I can't wait to see if/how it dried. The only way I'm gonna get better at something is to do it myself and learn by suffering! That said, I'm leaving my X-Metals to the guys who know what they're doing.

The more I look at these, the more I want to start over. lol

Thanks, brotha.
At the salt mines now (although my mind is at home), so I can't wait to see if/how it dried. The only way I'm gonna get better at something is to do it myself and learn by suffering! That said, I'm leaving my X-Metals to the guys who know what they're doing.

The more I look at these, the more I want to start over. lol
Keep us posted. Will be interested to see what direction your progress takes you.

My adventure is in x-metals. I'm pretty sure I will suffer to some degree and in the end, could very well end up with me sending to one of the pro's, but this itch, I have to at least try to scratch.

Well, not really sure exactly what I was thinking, but got super bored after work. I've had these Splits for years, and them being so comfortable, I wore these so much in college that they became my beater pair. For some dumb reason, back then, I gave it the ol' college try recoating these matte black from polished with a 2-in-1 rattle can in the dorm courtyard, to much frustration of the R.A. You can see hints of crappy, lazy, beer-inspired college kid work. Now I'm leaving out the college kid part. Definitely still beer inspired.

Now it's time for a more proper, yet imperfect coat to breath new in some personality. Had them disassembled and ready to get dipped this evening and just went for it. Good news is, if I turns out like manure, I can strip it down and start again... I mow the lawn in these, so whatever, right?

Before-ish
View attachment 355942 View attachment 355943

Frame paint
View attachment 355944

Orbital paint
View attachment 355945

Kinda digging the orbital/jaw piece style and might end up that full direction. Just might repaint the whole thing that way.

What do y'all think?
Did you dip them or paint them?

Keep us posted. Will be interested to see what direction your progress takes you.

... but this itch, I have to at least try to scratch.

Every itch deserves a good scratching before finding the right prescription!
Enjoy, man. It's more fun than anything. Toying with light coatings, the only thing lost at the end of the day is a bit of time, some materials, and a few beers. Gains include receiving a bit of a grief from the wife, but at least it's for something worth it.

I'll certainly post what the final product ends up looking like... Could end up a-whole-nother direction...

Probably 8th (and final) attempt fresh dipped after several trial & error iterations. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong...

20170713_223837.jpg

Last edited: