• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cacatman's (BRIP's) simple guide to cleaning Mars Jordan leather

I think this one may be beyond saving...
d757355b3f47a1795654b8c4dd3a6a52.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why don't you "soak it and see"!!!

If that one can be saved, it would be a miracle. At the very least, it will make a nice Crater Mars.

I was reading and then spoke with a friend, leather guy, that "rough out" leather, which is what the jordans have, can be cleaned by using a pink eraser, new, not smudged with graphite, good for small area stains, lightly and slowly. Also dry corn starch or baking soda or unscented talcum powder (powdered soapstone) to help remove dirt and stains, helps to pull the stain out. Place on stain for 30 minutes, brush off lightly.
No scientific proof yet, so at your own risk. I may have the opurtunity to try this out on a pair. Hasnt been tried on the Mars Jordans but has on other "rough out" leather, not as delicate as the Jordans, but it worked well, of course, I guess it depends on the damage or the nastyness of the stain.
If any one try's it let me know, I will as well.

I was reading and then spoke with a friend, leather guy, that "rough out" leather, which is what the jordans have, can be cleaned by using a pink eraser, new, not smudged with graphite, good for small area stains, lightly and slowly. Also dry corn starch or baking soda or unscented talcum powder (powdered soapstone) to help remove dirt and stains, helps to pull the stain out. Place on stain for 30 minutes, brush off lightly.
No scientific proof yet, so at your own risk. I may have the opurtunity to try this out on a pair. Hasnt been tried on the Mars Jordans but has on other "rough out" leather, not as delicate as the Jordans, but it worked well, of course, I guess it depends on the damage or the nastyness of the stain.
If any one try's it let me know, I will as well.
I don’t know whether this makes a difference, but I believe the “leather” on the Mars Jordans is not real leather. It’s a leatherette/fake leather. Also, it is quite fragile. Almost like tissue paper.

(corrected 6th April, 2018)

Last edited:
I don’t know whether this makes a difference, but I believe the “leather” on the Mars Jordans is not real leather. It’s a leatherette/fake leather. Also, it is quite fragile. Almost like tissue paper.
Hmmm I dont think so, its identical to rough out leather. Fake leather on a jewel not Oakley style. IMO

Hmmm I dont think so, its identical to rough out leather. Fake leather on a jewel not Oakley style. IMO
Thanks for the correction. I had read somewhere that it was some sort of leatherette (as opposed to leather).

re: fake not being Oakley style - I know for sure that the "24k" (gold) Juliets and XS are actually NOT gold plated. For the price they're getting nowadays....they should be!!!

Thanks for the correction. I had read somewhere that it was some sort of leatherette (as opposed to leather).

re: fake not being Oakley style - I know for sure that the "24k" (gold) Juliets and XS are actually NOT gold plated. For the price they're getting nowadays....they should be!!!
Tell me about it, I had noo idea.