• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

The valve 1.0 and mars aren't the easiest to do by hand w their bumps and/or curves. That have to be perfectly placed so lenses don't slip or rotate.
Yes it took me well over a couple hours apiece. Grinding, testing, grinding, testing. Am almost 'lucky' my first tries were pretty decent. I've already slacked some and messed up a cut for an Unknown. So far from perfect. Lol.

What all did you use To make the cuts ?
Some use a hand held Dremel.
I use a Bench Grinder.
You will need a variety of different masking tapes. Some donor lenses are hydrophobic. Means, nothing sticks to it and you need a more adhesive tape. Some other donor lenses you need a less adhesive tape or you rip the coating right off.

Some use a hand held Dremel.
I use a Bench Grinder.
You will need a variety of different masking tapes. Some donor lenses are hydrophobic. Means, nothing sticks to it and you need a more adhesive tape. Some other donor lenses you need a less adhesive tape or you rip the coating right off.
The grinder. That's a good one that I didn't see if was discussed here before. The use of a stationary grinder and holding the lens. That's how I've been doing mine. I only do cuts with my Dremel.

As far as tapes go, I do need to try others myself. I've only tried a couple of brands so far. Mahalo. :cool-33:🤙

Back