• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

FAKE ENCODER WARNING

PiesangKop_ZA

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
London, UK
Hi OF,

Just a heads up to anybody looking to buy Encoders off eBay or the like.
There are some pretty convincing Fakes out there and they are pretty hard to tell apart from the real thing without having a side by side comparison.

Things to look out for:
- SKU code is upside down and too big
- Prizm and Oakley logo on lens is not etched properly and too big
- no O on the nose piece (spotted this thanks to @Inkkoonce)
- Weight is off by 4 grams (compared two real ones to check this)
- the Oakley logo on the temple is raised (and recessed on the real thing)
- No CE next on the inside of right stem (not always the case though)
- overall fit is really flimsy compared to the real thing
- curve in the fake lens (at the nose) is too big and distorts the field of vision

Logo Fake.jpg

Logo Real.jpg

Nosepiece Fake.jpg

Nosepiece Real.jpeg

On Face Fake.jpg

On Face Real.jpg

Side by side front.jpg

Side by side top.jpg

SKU Fake.jpg

SKU Real.jpg

Weight Fake.jpg

Weight Real.jpg

Hi OF,

Just a heads up to anybody looking to buy Encoders off eBay or the like.
There are some pretty convincing Fakes out there and they are pretty hard to tell apart from the real thing without having a side by side comparison.

Things to look out for:
- SKU code is upside down and too big
- Prizm and Oakley logo on lens is not etched properly and too big
- no O on the nose piece (spotted this thanks to @Inkkoonce)
- Weight is off by 4 grams (compared two real ones to check this)
- the Oakley logo on the temple is raised (and recessed on the real thing)
- No CE next on the inside of right stem (not always the case though)
- overall fit is really flimsy compared to the real thing
- curve in the fake lens (at the nose) is too big and distorts the field of vision

View attachment 890463

View attachment 890464

View attachment 890465

View attachment 890466

View attachment 890467

View attachment 890468

View attachment 890469

View attachment 890470

View attachment 890471

View attachment 890472

View attachment 890473

View attachment 890474

Are you in a store that sells fake and genuine pairs?

Are you in a store that sells fake and genuine pairs?
Haha. No 🤣🤣

Its in a Sunglass Hut. I was there picking up some A Frame lenses I bought from Oakley.com
I had bought the fake on eBay a few days before and the seller was giving me some BS story about them being real and not released yet.
Took them down to Sunglass Hut as it's owned by the same parent company as Oakley so they'd definitely have the real deal and the eBay seller couldn't argue with me when I told him they were definitely fake.

Last edited:
Haha. No 🤣🤣

Its in a Sunglass Hut. I was there picking up some A Frame lenses I bought from Oakley.com
I had bought the fake on eBay a few days before and the seller was giving me some BS story about them being real and not released yet.
Took them down to Sunglass Hut as it's owned by the same parent company as Oakley so they'd definitely have the real deal and the eBay seller couldn't argue with me when I told him they were definitely fake.
Wouldn't even need to argue with the seller, you let eBay themselves know it's counterfeit, get money back ( and in those cases they don't want you mailing a counterfeit back to the seller, so it's not a requirement to get refunded, know a few people that went that route when sold a fake MontBlanc pen and sent them the notice from MontBlanc when they sent it in for an authenticity check)

Literally saw this thread for the first time, today. Considering I got my 24k Encoder off fleabay for a song. And everything is surprisingly legit on the frame, even things I hadn’t noticed before, for instance the O atop the nosepiece/s. One of the two icons isn’t as recessed as the other.

Back