• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HED568's Collection

Absolutely. Some unfortunate example of that was @Magmaredhot ’s gen. 1 bone plasma Juliet frame, which had a cavity at the thinnest section of the ear stem. It broke right through when removing the rubber. I have a Juliet frame which shows a tiny porosity at the surface which they tried to grind out.

And since Oakley likes to throw around the term aerospace a lot (and many people feed on that marketing lingo): aerospace components that actually see some structural load are HIPed after casting to compress these porosities as much as possible (thus getting noch factors down).

All that said, Ti grande 5 has a density of 4.43 g / cm^3. Grade 9 is 4.48. (We know both grades have been sold as “X-Metal”). That would be a whole lot of porosities to account for 2 g in mass difference. About 4.5 % of the casting would have to be voids; and that consistently. Not sure what my conclusion would be though other than: to draw some conclusions we would need a scale more precise than a kitchen scale, maybe. Also, since 2 grams are not that much in absolute terms leather thread and rubber compositions might factor in as well. 🤔

Last edited:
So are there any markings (e.g. SKU) at all on the frame (ear stems, under the nose bombs...) or nothing whatsoever?
No markings. Nothing under nose bombs or anywhere exposed on frame. I did not take the ear socks off though to check underneath.
Although, I will say that anyone who has had a traditional x metal in their hand would easily be able to tell the difference between that and the new one.

I’m curious about the thread as well. I had .8mm waxed thread which I could not get thru the Crater holes. I also had to order new Saddle Needles in smaller sizes. .5mm waxed thread and the smaller needles did fit.

So are there any markings (e.g. SKU) at all on the frame (ear stems, under the nose bombs...) or nothing whatsoever?
Nada... I've checked everywhere. Only place I haven't check is the backside of the nosebridge but that's because I don't want to rip the leather out to find out lol

Kind of disappointing they didn't serialize them. With so few made, and the price point, you'd think that would have been a standard thing.

So whos starting the MUZM Mars owners list?...lol

Am I correct in saying the original Jordans had the bridge pins ground down level with the bridge so as not to show through? I haven't seen under the leather on a pair - maybe @qtrain23 can chime in?

This may have been answered already but back in the day when I had taken the leather off of numerous beater Jordan's. The pins are always ground down. Bummer they missed that detail on the new ones. I wonder if these were made in the US.

By the way. Congratulations buddy..wish I had the chance at one. I'm super envious

This may have been answered already but back in the day when I had taken the leather off of numerous beater Jordan's. The pins are always ground down. Bummer they missed that detail on the new ones. I wonder if these were made in the US.

By the way. Congratulations buddy..wish I had the chance at one. I'm super envious
Having looked at my pair, the pins don't appear to be protruding....
bbd57bec1c5dd70c44a9183dd19b7b2f.jpg

..cant feel them, either.

Last edited: