• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Madman and XS aftermarket case shootout

morph2k4

Oakley Beginner
I went to a couple of sunglasses stores trying to find a case for my Madmans, but was disheartened to find that they didn't fit comfortably in any mass production sunglass case. I'm not a fan of the stock tube, and really wanted something a bit smaller and more sturdy. It dawned on me that there are many companies selling nice little hardshell cases in various sizes for random other products, so I took to Amazon. The following 7 cases were the best bets I could find based on listed measurements.

Moleskine Pen Pouch - $18.86
JBL Flip 4 Speaker Case - $16.49
SHBC Toothbrush Case - $9.99
LYNCEN Toothbrush Case - $9.99
HAZARD 4 Mil-Pod Case - $13.48
LTGEM Zoom H1n Case - $8.99
Hermitshell Anker 20100 Case - $8.99

Here we go!
JZmAWSZ.jpg

First up is the Moleskine. Very nice construction, but a little bit too small:
T9QrIuE.jpg

Next is the JBL Flip. The dimensions sounded right from the add, and the glasses fit fine, but the case is enormous. Much larger diameter than the stock case, so this is out:
xX6NGrI.jpg

The SHBC case has a clean fit, but it's a fair bit longer than necessary. The glasses would rattle around in here a lot. If this were an inch shorter, it would be near perfect:
Cqd3iWj.jpg

The LYCEN hard case is a great fit actually, if you want a rock solid outer shell (which might be nice given how fragile the Madmans seem to be). That said, I found that the plastic halves didn't connect very smoothly, so I don't think i'd want to go this route:
T1U6qNx.jpg

The Hazard milpod is a great fit. The materials quality feels on par with the similar looking oakley vaults, The only oddity is that it stays somewhat rigidly open. It doesn't feel bad to close it, but it will spring to a fully open position when opened:
1jSt1YE.jpg

The LTGEM is quite a nice option. It is just slightly too small, but it does fit without crimping the tips of the temples. The case closes comfortably without putting pressure on the frames:
tmOO4PI.jpg

The Hermitshell is a bit too large in XY dimensions, and just barely not tall enough. Nice case, but I don't think it's right for the Madmans.
VRjIy5N.jpg

Final verdict! The LTGEM and the HAZARD are the two clear winners here. Go with the LTGEM if you want a more premium feeling case, or go with the HAZARD if you want a perfect fit. I'm trying both out to see which one I want to use long term.

Added bonus, my XS showed up today! It turns out the hermitshell is a PERFECT fit for them. Nice, low profile, and just the right dimensions!
ESm0Tfv.jpg

Last edited:
So the large X metal solf vault would not work? I think @cacatman had a really good write up on cases.

So the large X metal solf vault would not work? I think @cacatman had a really good write up on cases.

I think the large X Metal soft vault will fit just about anything, but they are not readily available. There certainly weren't any in the brick and mortar stores I walked into. I can confirm that the large carbon fiber vault does NOT fit.

I'm going to add my final results to cacatman's thread, but I figured I'd document my process here.

Latest Posts

Back