• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My first incursion in custom painting

atomikaso

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi everybody.

I always wanted to start custom painting frames and I finally got some paint sprays and stuff I think I should need based on research. The victim is a pair of Bottle Rocket which were gotten for 8€, and to be honest I always disliked how the brown smoke looked on this (I tried everything but the stems did not wanted to come off :( ). The materials used are the following: 2 MTN Pink and WhiteSpray Cans, MTN Plastic Primer, MTN Acrylic Varnish (Could not find 1K lacquer and 2K is too expensive and short lasting, so I had to get this) and 1000 grit sandpaper. I'm conscious that an airbrush is the proper tool for this kind of operations, but right now I prefer to keep it the humble way.
IMG_20231117_141315.jpg

First, I prepped the frame by sanding it, I red in the forum that this is not recommended, but after a brief test the sandpaper just managed to take the shine off the frame, exactly as I thought.
IMG_20231117_150449.jpg

Once the shine was gone, I degreased the frame to sure that the paint will adhere, and I started to paint once it dryed. I improvised a stand with wire to lift it in order to reach every angle easlily. The plastic primer, literally started to burst paint all over the place due the cap not being in place, but fixed it and applied the layer (very badly because it was my first time using a paint spray can).
IMG_20231118_153857.jpg

Once the time specified by the manufacturer passed, I applied the white colour. The finish is not perfect, I think I stayed too close and that caused drips and irregularities but I had to keep going. Another big brain idea was to apply another layer and for some reason (maybe because it was badly applied) took a granulous finish.
IMG_20231119_162846.jpg

IMG_20231119_162850.jpg

After letting it dry, I applied the varnish and painted the icons in pink, ending up in this. Definetly not a pro paintwork (the huge drip on the bridge and the underside of the orbitals and stems can tell hehe), but the knowledge acquaired can help me to upgrade my skills. Next project is between a beater Valve 1.0 or a detail in my Hijinx.
See ya and thanks for reading!

IMG_20231122_115330.jpg
IMG_20231122_115351.jpg
IMG_20231122_115344.jpg

You're on your way to logging 10,000 hours... may as well experiment on frames you dislike. Keep it up.
Well, I'm painting all the beater frames I find cheap. I'm about to try to custom a pair of valve 1.0 for the second time, it's kind of hard obtaining knowledge in this topic, but with logic and patience the thing goes slowly on.

Back