• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley M Frame Gen 1 vs Gen 2 frame differences

whostorm05

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Is there a consistent way to identify a M Frame Gen 1 vs Gen 2 frame itself, not the stems. The stem difference between Oakley and the O is obvious, but I read there are some small differences in the actual frame itself, but yet to find any pics or clear ways to identify a gen 1 vs gen 2 frame. Any ideas? Pics would be amazing. I searched but didn't find anything which seemed to help.

One of the easiest way other then the oakley logo is the 2nd Gen has hammer fangs. The frame extended beyond the back of the earsocks to better grip your head. The 1st Gen also have a different shape lens. They are slightly smaller where they connect to the frames. You can shove a 2nd Gen lens in a 1st Gen frame, but this will stress the frame which is already prone to cracks.

There's a really good article about this on Revant optics .com that talks about the M Frame through the years. Check that out, that can explain a bunch!!

1st Gen M Frame
17087335913951755620277438251207.jpg

One of the easiest way other then the oakley logo is the 2nd Gen has hammer fangs. The frame extended beyond the back of the earsocks to better grip your head. The 1st Gen also have a different shape lens. They are slightly smaller where they connect to the frames. You can shove a 2nd Gen lens in a 1st Gen frame, but this will stress the frame which is already prone to cracks.

There's a really good article about this on Revant optics .com that talks about the M Frame through the years. Check that out, that can explain a bunch!!

That's still the stems though, right? Someone could take a Gen 2 frames, put Gen 1 stems and call it a "complete" Gen 1 M Frame which wouldn't technically be accurate. I'm wondering how to spot that?

That's still the stems though, right? Someone could take a Gen 2 frames, put Gen 1 stems and call it a "complete" Gen 1 M Frame which wouldn't technically be accurate. I'm wondering how to spot that?
Correct, remember the frames are different where the lens attach. The 2nd Gen also have the oakley etched on the lens

My understanding is the frame itself has some differences between gen 1 and gen 2. I'm trying to find pics for exactly how to spot a gen 1 vs gen 2 frame.

So if someone took the stems off a gen 1 and a gen 2 pair of m frames and handed me both frames, how would I know which is which?

Ah, does the gen 2 come down a bit more towards the very end of the frame?

--Actually that might just be the angle of the pic. I stared at my four pairs (3 gen 1, 1 gen 2) and didn't see the same difference. I have another pair coming so going to check them out, supposedly a gen 1 frame with gen 1 stems/arms.

Last edited:
Back