• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Polarized and Prizm Lens Questions

David H

Oakley Beginner
Hello out there, I recently had an accident where I cut up my face rather badly (not permanently thank you). I started applying Neosporin to my face to help the healing process and I pulled out my old Oakley C Wires with "Polarized" lenses to cover it up. After a couple weeks I noticed the lenses had degraded where they had contacted my face. Looks like a stain coupled with a flakey effect, pretty bad looking. Anybody ever hear of such happening? At any rate, I went out and tried to get new lenses. Not so easy I see so I ended up trying the Australian company "Sunglasses Fix". Not bad and I read the review here and heard similar. Which led me to start checking all my sunglasses to see where they were made and if they needed new lenses. All my Oakleys are made in China (I started buying them in 2008) and all my other high end glasses are made in Japan or Italy. Ugh, so after reading here, this is the reality which is Oakley now. In checking all pairs, the quality of construction looks good however my latest pair of Oakleys, Savitar, not so good. After three to four months, the frames self destructed in multiple ways (arm slipped off the hinge was one). I brought them back to the retailer, same place that I have used for years, beyond reproach, and they replaced them without question. They were going to just give me new frames but I pointed out that one of the "Prizm" lenses had a divit in the center of the lens that happened when I dropped them just prior. I had thought that these lenses were the highest quality and were impact resistant. They ended up giving me a complete new pair, thank you. End of long story? Nope the lenses in the new pair are scratching etc with minimal wear, ugh. I am also reasonably careful with my glasses so how this happened, not sure. Not something I'm doing as I treat all my glasses the same so what gives? I like the Savitar look so is there a point to buying new Prizm lenses or just go with Sunglass Fix replacements? Yeah long post, sorry. Thanks in advance.

Oakley lens quality is crap. Lens flaking galore. Never owned a pair where this didn't happen. Spend your money elsewhere.

Back