• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 Plasma / Fire

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Recently purchased from swininc, low serial 004716. I resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to be able to justify the current prices of a nice boxed example so I bought what I hoped would be a nice example.
It is, with nice gaskets/ rubbers, no stress cracks and one tiny mark at 12:00 on the non-etched lens. Interestingly enough after I did BIN swininc listed another pair. Where do these keep coming from in this condition?

7202887020_664c6b11db.jpg

7202889902_102c0068ae.jpg

7202892006_59c72a8cb2.jpg

thats a good question. its amazing how many lnib or nib ones are still out there.

sick pick up. a pair of romeo 1's is on my want list for this summer.

Nice pick up CarGuy. I've wondered the same thing. It's amazing the amount of Oakleys for sale, and not only the that, a lot of them are retired and in great condition.

Nice pick up CarGuy. I've wondered the same thing. It's amazing the amount of Oakleys for sale, and not only the that, a lot of them are retired and in great condition.

The amount of Oakleys for sale isn't what I find interesting but your second observation- "a lot of them are retired and in great condition" - is what raised my curiousity. A seemingly endless stream of stuff that should have been purged from the supply chain LONG ago, surely one or two fiscal years. But they continue to pop up with this seller and others. Should I just be grateful that they can still be had in this condition?

I hear you, it's Romeo after Romeo then Leather Mars, then Penny's then...well you know what I mean, lol ;)
But I guess when you think how many thousands of these were produced it might not be that big of deal.

awesome pair of shades! I think people are seeing romeos commanding premium prices so they figure its not a bad time to sell if they are just lying around.

I think people are seeing romeos commanding premium prices so they figure its not a bad time to sell if they are just lying around.

I think the R1 is appreciating because it is the only indestructable XM. Pennys are no longer serviced domestically, XM XX is no longer fully retuned (only the flex coupler basically) so it's phasing out too- and how much longer for the Juliet?
But the Romeo was made too good with no flex coupler to fail. They are tanks and will last practically forever, what is that worth? Ya, the stress crack issue exists but that seems to be fixed by loosening the frame or using aftermarket lenses.
To be honest, a part about buying this pair was to see what the plasma looked like compared to the two generations of titanium R1's. The Plasma finish is kinda splotchy and about the same color as a 2nd gen Titanium R1 (great finish). The 1st gen Titanium/ Gold finish has worn poorly and darkened with age and is kind of a disappointment. But the 2nd gen they seem to had gotten really right because in my experience there is a great difference in the finishes of those two generations.