• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SpecialAdvisor’s Mad Labs - Mars Leather Mods Plus

Sooo…two coats of primer on the soon to be Bronze Valve 1.0. Mk. 2.

Re-rusted the Valve 1.0 Mk. 1. Full disclosure, I cheated a bit by making my own rust enamel stain and bumped up the red a little in a couple areas for emphasis and filled in a small place where paint flaked off in the rust soup!

Might try to assemble at least the lugs and stems today. Luckily the lenses are still en route so I won’t be tempted to try and install them. Need to be patient and let it cure much, Much LONGER! 😏

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

Sooo…two coats of primer on the soon to be Bronze Valve 1.0. Mk. 2.

Re-rusted the Valve 1.0 Mk. 1. Full disclosure, I cheated a bit by making my own rust enamel stain and bumped up the red a little in a couple areas for emphasis and filled in a small place where paint flaked off in the rust soup!

Might try to assemble at least the lugs and stems today. Luckily the lenses are still en route so I won’t be tempted to try and install them. Need to be patient and let it cure much, Much LONGER! 😏

View attachment 1128995

View attachment 1128996

View attachment 1128997
Just look at these if you want to be impatient. I thought it was cured long enough, but obviously not.

IMG_9591 2.JPG
IMG_9593 2.JPG

That happened on day 4 or 5 putting on the ear stem. Usually an easy step, and one I took for granted. And I wouldn't open the pair fully until dry anyway. Or the edges may stick. I've taken paint off the lugs this way as well. So fully dry is best. :cool:🤙

Rick dud the purple pair for me in 2020. With 4 others and had them in his possesion for 6 months. I got them and displayed them for years never touching them until Nov 2023.
When i closed the arm. The paint had bonded together.

Chipped. Ouch

Rick had mailed them closed and individually wrapped.

The other sets I don't think i have closed the arms since being displayed. Yellow, Red, Pink n a few others.

Clear coat, Maybe??
20240331_160121.jpg
20240331_160212.jpg
20240331_160403.jpg

20240331_160515.jpg

From what I’m hearing and reading the key is to wait the full 7-10 days of paint curing for almost all paint types. Modern Masters Metallics also says 7-10 days for a full cure.

I used Krylon Matte Finish over the rust. Krylon says the Matte Finish spray will dry to the touch in 10-15 minutes and will fully dry in two hours and is permanent when dry. Another post said fully dry in 24 hours.

Clearly more time is better than less for drying and curing. That Cerakote Heat Cured paint is looking better and better!

My lenses are not showing up till Thursday…that’ll be about 8 days.

No clue on a fully dried and cured paint or clear coated frame that a joint bonds so much later. I would only think heat or a chemical reaction…but in a display case…? 🧐

Last edited:
The cases are In the basement which maintains a very ambient temperature year round.

No heat stress on them. I live near the Water?? Shouldn't have an effect on the paint

Who knows. Its paint

Rick dud the purple pair for me in 2020. With 4 others and had them in his possesion for 6 months. I got them and displayed them for years never touching them until Nov 2023.
When i closed the arm. The paint had bonded together.

Chipped. Ouch

Rick had mailed them closed and individually wrapped.

The other sets I don't think i have closed the arms since being displayed. Yellow, Red, Pink n a few others.

Clear coat, Maybe??
View attachment 1129095View attachment 1129096View attachment 1129097

View attachment 1129100
That is the clear coat sticking together. I've seen it where only the clear coat comes off. Sometimes the frame, and sometimes the lug. This is a lesson from when I first started painting, because almost every pair I did in the beginning had to be redone for this very reason. Now I don't store my painted pairs with arms fully open. Even though I believe they are completely dry. I have both sides closed slightly so it can still stay on the display stands. Like what the yellow pair above looks like.

That is the clear coat sticking together. I've seen it where only the clear coat comes off. Sometimes the frame, and sometimes the lug. This is a lesson from when I first started painting, because almost every pair I did in the beginning had to be redone for this very reason. Now I don't store my painted pairs with arms fully open. Even though I believe they are completely dry. I have both sides closed slightly so it can still stay on the display stands. Like what the yellow pair above looks like.

Makes good sense.

Most of my storage and display will now have closed arms like these in the picture below. I don’t have space for a floor display case anyway so I made these 3D modeled and printed wall mounts. Will be making more for my office walls.

Probably for the best anyway 👽🤙

IMG_3074.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back