• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A/R Coating?

871JZ

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, noticed something yesterday that got me thinking and thought I'd post here for an answer.

I've owned quite a few pairs of Oakley's throughout the years and currently own two pairs of Cerakoted Gascan SI's. A Desert Sage pair with Tungsten Iridium lenses, and a Mil-Spec Green pair with Black Iridium Polarized lenses. I wanted the Tungsten Iridium Polarized, but at the time they weren't available and Oakley didn't offer the lenses separately.

Having a ton faith in the quality of genuine Oakley lenses, but also wanting polarization, hesitantly, I decided to give a set of aftermarket polarized lenses a try.

Came across Ikon. Researching them, I found they're 100% designed, tested, and manufactured in the U.S.A. They also had stellar reviews and were priced well. Went ahead and ordered a set of the 24K gold iridium's.

After receiving them, I noticed some very slight differences between them and the original Tungsten Iridium lenses. Most notably, the very obvious A/R coating on the inside of the Ikon's, but no obvious coating on the original lenses. Figured maybe Oakley reserves this for their more costly polarized lenses, even though I didn't recall seeing this on any of my previously owned polarized pairs.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I received the Mil-Spec Green pair with the BIP lenses. Again, I compared them with the Ikon's and still didn't find that brilliant blue coating on the inside, so I did some looking around and can't find much from Oakley in the way of advertising the use of any kind of A/R coating. If they are using it, you'd think they'd make it known, especially considering the cost of a set of genuine polarized lenses versus these aftermarket replacements. I did find some older posts here on the forum with guys arguing back and forth about whether or not Oakley uses anything, and another post which mentioned what they call Stealth. It seems to be Oakley's terminology for their A/R coating, but it was also said that it pertains only to their Rx line.

After doing some reflection testing myself, it seems that if they are using anything on the inside of the lenses to reduce the reflection of light, it's not as effective as this blue coating used by Ikon. Since everything I found here was quite old, can anyone give me a definitive answer regarding whether or not Oakley is using any form of anti-reflection technology in their non-Rx lenses? Doesn't REALLY matter to me, I'm just curious. I'll love Oakley's just as much, no matter the answer. :cool-20:

Last edited:
In the thread linked below, member jdd32 posted pics comparing a pair of Rx Oakley's with the optional A/R coating to a pair of non-Rx standard lenses without the A/R coating.

Also, as another member in that thread pointed out, you can visibly see the coating on other brands that advertise as having an A/R coating. I know this to be true because I can see it on my Ikon lenses, as well as my wife's Ray Ban's, which both clearly state they include it. I can't find anything from Oakley saying their lenses include any form of anti-reflective coating. It seems some members claim the layer on the backside of Oakley lenses that some people have issues with peeling is the A/R coating, but is it possible it's a hydrophobic coating?

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...t-anti-reflection-coated-anymore.45178/page-2

I just can't find anything pointing me in the direction of them using one, but I see a few things, including my tests and visual comparisons to other brands, that lead me to believe they aren't.

Anti-reflective coating is a generic name for a process used by many manufcaturers when they place and anti-glare material onto a lens. You can get this same material on prescription glasses. This has a minimal glare reducing effect. The "iridium" on the outisde of oakley sunglass lenses has the same minimal glare reducing effect.

If you want to reduce glare, you need to look at polarized. In which case oakley lenses are leas distorted than other brands.

Anti-reflective coating is a generic name for a process used by many manufcaturers when they place and anti-glare material onto a lens. You can get this same material on prescription glasses. This has a minimal glare reducing effect. The "iridium" on the outisde of oakley sunglass lenses has the same minimal glare reducing effect.

If you want to reduce glare, you need to look at polarized. In which case oakley lenses are leas distorted than other brands.

Thanks, but I'm aware of the difference between an A/R coating, Iridium coating, and polarization.

I'm specifically referring to the anti-reflective coating on the inside of the lenses. It helps to reduce or eliminate reflection or glare from light entering through the backside of the lens, so you don't see the reflection of your own eyes when wearing them, for example.

I'm looking for concrete evidence that supports the fact that Oakley uses some form of A/R coating or treatment on their non-Rx line of lenses. The two examples I currently have do not appear to, especially when compared with lenses known to have this coating. Also, it's interesting that there's no wording anywhere in Oakley's advertising or product information that specifically mentions that they use any form of ant-reflective technology.

I have 11 Xmetals

6 are custom cut OEM lenses
3 are Linegear
1 is Revant
1 is DillonOptics

Out of those lenses, my OEM lenses can get quite annoying when I can see the reflection of the top of my cheek or the slimy/shiny part of the bottom of my eyeball...

I don't have this problem when I wear the Linegear, Dillon and Revant...

I can tell you for a fact that the worst lens I have when it comes to reflection is the Deep Water Prizm lens...really annoying...

I have 11 Xmetals

6 are custom cut OEM lenses
3 are Linegear
1 is Revant
1 is DillonOptics

Out of those lenses, my OEM lenses can get quite annoying when I can see the reflection of the top of my cheek or the slimy/shiny part of the bottom of my eyeball...

I don't have this problem when I wear the Linegear, Dillon and Revant...

I can tell you for a fact that the worst lens I have when it comes to reflection is the Deep Water Prizm lens...really annoying...

ThIs pretty much sums up what I've been saying. My aftermarket lenses and other high quality OEM lenses have an obvious A/R coating, but I can't find any evidence that makes me believe the Oakley lenses do. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who notices this since quite a few other members claim without question that Oakley's lenses do in fact have an A/R coating.

Is it similar to that brilliant blue color I described in my first post regarding the Ikon's, or is it something else? I'd really like to find out that my factory lenses are coated, just as I would expect them to be.

If you could post a pic of what your's look like, I'd really appreciate it.

Latest Posts

Back