• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics

InfiniteHero

Entrepreneur
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
United States
After months of experimentation and testing, the process of Anodizing Titanium Frames is finally ready to share with the forum. In getting ready to release this service I came to the conclusion that it was only proper for me to officially become a Forum Sponsor. This has proudly been done and I am ready to proceed. The below is long, but details the information and examples thoroughly.

Color anodizing manipulates the transparent oxide layer of the titanium itself on a molecular level. The end result is varying light transmission between the titanium itself and the oxide layer that is colored. On factory frame finishes, this results in varying strengths of colors depending on the angle of viewing or lighting- you may see more or less color due to the base layer showing through. The darker the anodized color is, the more dominant it is for viewing. Lighter colors- such as gold or anything on X-Metal finishes- are extremely subtle. This oxide layer will not chip, scratch off and is permanent unless blasted, tumbled, sanded, etched etc. and this is the only way to remove it. The finish is susceptible to oils, which only need to be wiped clean with isopropyl alcohol or Oakley cleaning solution. All factory X-Metal finishes can be anodized.

Anodizing issues: blotches can occur due to "Heat Oxide" spots on titanium, which occur from original factory processing. Oxide layers are invisible unless colored but when colored the "heat oxidized" spots can absorb color slightly differently although this can be avoided by etching to remove the oxide layer.

Etching Titanium is a dangerous and expensive operation involving removal of the natural oxide layer on titanium by a chemical process. This will remove any "Heat Oxide" left by the factory and will show the natural finish of the titanium used. Factory etched frames show smooth finishes, while re-finished, blasted, tumbled, hand polished frames will show any blemishes or sometimes a rougher finish. When anodizing etched titanium, we are applying a NEW oxide layer in a color you choose. This layer on the newly etched matte grey finish will be thicker with color and the color is extremely dominant for viewing compared to a more subtle color on non-etched finishes.

Please note that anodizing titanium is nothing like anodizing aluminum. No dyes or pigments are added when anodizing titanium; this process is accomplished by an electrical process that does not rub off and is as durable as any of the best OEM finishes. All colors anodized are approximate and cannot be dialed in to be the same on all frames. Different frame compositions anodize differently so each frame will be dialed into the closest color to the desired one on a test piece, then your individual frame will be done. On Factory non etched frames that are anodized, do not expect a finish similar to a paint or plating or coating. Ti Anodizing (Ti-02) does not produce this type of finish. Remember it is transparent.

Prices will be $80 for basic 8 colors (bronze, rustic copper, purple, deep purple, gold, cobalt blue, teal, electric green). A downloadable PDF sales form for each frame can be downloaded at the bottom of this post. Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail CONUS for $8. International Shipping will be a Priority Mail Small Flate Rate box for 23.50. (sales@xmcoptics.com)

The Anodizing service does not include tightening the nose bridge. When putting the frame back together factory pins will be used if possible, if not then replacement pins manufactured by OXM will be used either in the polished finish or X-Metal finish. A lot of frames have come in that are brand new so changed prices to reflect just taking apart and putting back together. If a frame is loose and needs the tightening there is a $20 fee for doing this.

Ti Anodizing colors NOT currently available are as follows: Blacks, Reds, Oranges, dark greens.
Ti Anodizing possible color families are: Browns, Golds, Purples, Blues, Greens, Lavenders.
Pictures below of Basic Color choices done on various frame finishes:

I thought I would try and answer any questions and give you all the information right up front in the same post, rather than in subsequent posts that would be hard to find. The below pictures are of various finishes of frames that have been anodized. It is denoted which frames were etched before anodizing and which ones are of factory finishes. The PDF Sales form will be in the following post attached. Please make a copy and email it to sales@xmcoptics.com and also include one in your package. PM's are fine, but trying for now to keep that for Lens cutting services.

1. Bronze – Plasma Juliet Factory Finish
IMG_1237.JPG

2. Rustic Copper – Etched Blasted Juliet Finish
IMG_1465.JPG

3. Bronze/Gold – Etched Blasted Mars Finish
IMG_1374.JPG

4. Dark Purple – Polished Juliet Factory Finish
IMG_1402.JPG

5. Gold – Plasma Juliet Factory Finish
IMG_1290.JPG

6. Gold – Etched Blasted Juliet Finish
IMG_1386.JPG

7. Gold – Polished X-Squared Factory Finish
IMG_1446.JPG

8. Teal – Etched Blasted Juliet Finish
IMG_1462.JPG

9. Elec Green – Etched Blasted Finish
IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks my friend, worked along time to get it right. Took a lot of patience. There are a few that people have that were part of the testing phase and I am sure they will post them soon. Its different than paint, cerekote etc..... Its unique and being different is what is all about

This is one more I had. Its a X Metal finished Juliet that is anodized Purple. As you can see the look is very subtle, however you can really see the X metal finish below the color. This should help explain how transparent the colored oxide layer is. The second pic for this frame is outside, so you can again see how the color changes in different lighting.
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG

Back