• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Cacatman's "Things I Wish I Knew" when I was a Newbie at Oakley Forum...

@cacatman Thank you so much for this thread. I am about as green as they come, but have already offended (rightly so) an ebay seller or two. offering $250 on a set of plasma vr30 x squared was probably a bad idea. lol. Glad to have somewhere to check and avoid future faux pas.

In general, is it frowned upon to post a buying thread in x metal exchange saying something like this? wanted: X squared carbon or polished carbon scratched lenses okay ~ $250? . the first issue i see is most people will not let go for that little. the second is for that price most would keep them. (hell, i would) Unfortunately, my want outweighs my wallet, so thats where im at. is that delusional? i mean i dont care about the oem lenses aside from ensuring the frame is correct. (i read up on warranty frames shaping) i plan to grab linegear parts for everything. for now. i dont care aboutoriginal box/coin/etc. No, im not asking here, just want to avoid embarrising myself further and/or pissing off peeps here on O forum. Thank you again for this thread. wish i had found it sooner.

I don't think it's a bad idea to post what you want to pay. You never know it may bring the right seller to you. It will also let guys that have stuff for more know not to waste anyone's time.

I'm curious though, why do you not care about it being original? The most important part of oakley sunglasses are the lenses. They are the piece that protects your eyes from the sun.

I would put oakley lenses in a different frame before I put aftermarket lenses in a oakley frame.

In general, is it frowned upon to post a buying thread in x metal exchange saying something like this? wanted: X squared carbon or polished carbon scratched lenses okay ~ $250? . the first issue i see is most people will not let go for that little. the second is for that price most would keep them. (hell, i would) Unfortunately, my want outweighs my wallet, so thats where im at. is that delusional? i mean i dont care about the oem lenses aside from ensuring the frame is correct. (i read up on warranty frames shaping) i plan to grab linegear parts for everything. for now. i dont care aboutoriginal box/coin/etc. No, im not asking here, just want to avoid embarrising myself further and/or pissing off peeps here on O forum. Thank you again for this thread. wish i had found it sooner.

Personally I support including your price budget in a WTB, though it's rarely done. Nothing wrong with putting a WTB out there. But set your expectations accordingly - usually you have to go find the deals, not expect them to come to you. A WTB is more effective when you're willing to pay for the convenience.

I don't think it's a bad idea to post what you want to pay. You never know it may bring the right seller to you. It will also let guys that have stuff for more know not to waste anyone's time.

I'm curious though, why do you not care about it being original? The most important part of oakley sunglasses are the lenses. They are the piece that protects your eyes from the sun.

I would put oakley lenses in a different frame before I put aftermarket lenses in a oakley frame.

Honestly, I get that. and as a side note i am enslaved by the color tone while looking through of ruby iridium. (Badman)
But considering what i can pay at this juncture, id rather have a frame i can grab some linegear lenses and rubber for and buy OEM lenses later.
Personally I support including your price budget in a WTB, though it's rarely done. Nothing wrong with putting a WTB out there. But set your expectations accordingly - usually you have to go find the deals, not expect them to come to you. A WTB is more effective when you're willing to pay for the convenience.
Honestly, i need to say i appreciate all of your posts ive read. You are honest and straight to the point and that goes a long way with me ;)
As far as the deals, i know nothing comes to those who wait and i totally agree. i was thinking that ~$250 for carbon or polished carbon x squared with shot oem lenses/rubber is not too far-fetched these days, but i can tell that not too long ago that would have been out of the realm of possibity, so that may not be a popular notion. but then again, i feel like this is the place a set like i described is most likely to materialize.

I just want a wearable set. i plan to wear them and use tham daily, so the accoutrement that typically accompanies a pair isnt totally necessary. box, coin, those would only set somewhere to collect dust. ;)

@cacatman Thank you so much for this thread. I am about as green as they come, but have already offended (rightly so) an ebay seller or two. offering $250 on a set of plasma vr30 x squared was probably a bad idea. lol. Glad to have somewhere to check and avoid future faux pas.

Thanks for the shoutout! It's tough being new, and really we can only grow by making mistakes. My goal in this forum is to help people who want to shortcut the learning process that we all had to go through. Unfortunately, some new people get put off by some of the "old hands" here (who have forgotten what they didn't know when they started all those years ago). Early on, I was very fortunate that I didn't get flamed too badly by people, so I stuck around. In fact, people like saulsaul, Dallas O' Hog, X-metal beast, the-808-state, Medusa50 made ALL the difference for me as a Newbie.

Back to topic...

Here, they call heavily used/slightly damaged frames "beaters". Without useable lenses, I'd say $250 is quite reasonable. That falls in line with what I roughly estimate in my very very very rough guide to X-metal pricing here.

It's interesting that @kronin323 has responded. Because, I was about to quote him and say that to get X-metal pricing in perspective. One of my favourite quotes and "go-to" reminder that there really is no such thing as the "correct" price. He makes the cynical, but astute observation that x-metal pricing is the product of "mutually agreed on delusions"!! You should be able to trust him, because he's a Christian.

As with most things in life, more disclosure is not just honourable, but I believe, will help you in the long run. So. If you write what your budget is, people will respond more appropriately (of course, it could shoot yourself in the foot, too e.g. someone has a beater frame for $200 and you're willing to pay $250).

The purists will always tell you that OEM is best (I do agree with this), but we live in a world of compromise. You have to start somewhere. Everyone has to start with their first Oakley, then first X-metal etc. Few people have the luxury of starting buying A-list Oakleys. Persist and it will pay off! And I hope you have fun on the way through!

You are correct in implying that it is a reasonably good time to buy. X-metals are in a bit of a slump at the moment, but I think it will level up or start going back up again. Who knows when. It is literally seasonal, too.

X squared sunglasses can easily have the nose rubbers changed yourself. If you need a refinish/respray for very reasonable prices, check my thread here. There are some awesome and reasonably priced people who do stuff here.

Something I very recently learned was about bumping threads. I didn't know that posting on a thread would "bump" it to the top. I honestly thought only the original creator could do that. Thanks to @SouLFuLFrog for pointing this out to me after I did it. Lol. Everyone has been fun and very helpful like @QLR1 @SiRacer420 Try to get to know people and it will be worth the stay!

Back