• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Charge / Replace or...? TBI battery question.

No I think the low charge indicator would go away that quickly with the LiOn too. If you want to figure out what's in there without taking it apart, you should test how long it takes to run out from being fully charged (without recharging again by charger or by wearing, of course). The original capacitor has about a week's power reserve while the LiOn should be good for six months on a full charge; if it's still running after sitting idle for three weeks after recharging then you can be sure it's LiOn.

Leaving it on the charger full time? I can only speculate. My guess is no - most LiOn chargers these days, such as for your cellphone or the 18650s commonly used in flashlights and vape devices, they have electronics (either in the charger or in the device) to prevent overcharging. I don't believe that same safety cutoff exists in this setup; the charger is dumb and the battery's too small to have protection electronics in it. But I haven't tried it firsthand, perhaps you'd get away with it.

Oh, I thought if a LiOn was left uncharged for long then it would kill the battery. I guess I just have to invest more time wearing it like you said.

I might experiment with putting it on the charger for a day then putting it in a watch winder. I know the winder won’t charge it but it should slow the capacitor depletion and keep the parts moving right?

Oh, I thought if a LiOn was left uncharged for long then it would kill the battery. I guess I just have to invest more time wearing it like you said.

I might experiment with putting it on the charger for a day then putting it in a watch winder. I know the winder won’t charge it but it should slow the capacitor depletion and keep the parts moving right?

If the LiOn gets completely depleted, yes it can damage it. That's different from letting it run for a while without charging it, as long as some charge still remains. Overcharging can trash more than just the LiOn, though. That is, assuming leaving it on too long will overcharge it; like I said I think it could but don't know for certain.

You can try the watch winder. Don't know if it'll help but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Back