• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

TB Capacitor vs. rechargeable battery - useless knowledge

BTW I've been running a test to see how long a new, fully charged LiOn battery will run a TB without any recharging (to low indicator mode), through motion or otherwise. Is it really six months? I'm at around a month and a half and counting...

I mentioned in the quoted post that I was testing the "six month" reserve thing for the LiOn battery in a TB. It has passed, and then some - it's been running now for seven months without recharging and still hasn't started the low indicator mode.

At this point I don't know if I'll keep waiting for that mode to start, I want to wear it. But I should hold out just to see...

I mentioned in the quoted post that I was testing the "six month" reserve thing for the LiOn battery in a TB. It has passed, and then some - it's been running now for seven months without recharging and still hasn't started the low indicator mode.

At this point I don't know if I'll keep waiting for that mode to start, I want to wear it. But I should hold out just to see...

Okay, I hung in there, and half a month after the quoted earlier post, just before x-mas, I finally noticed the low battery indicator being shown. So the six-month reserve lasted seven and a half months.

Now what? Testing charging with an induction charger...

Several options have been posted previously. What I used was an old sonicare induction charger, which has a post sticking up from the base which provides the induction.

It took A LOT of trial and error to find the correct positioning - I eventually referenced RonkPM's thread on TB movement repair to find where the coils are (though actually you can see them through the back display window, from the correct angle). Even then it took a couple of tries to get it right.

But it worked. Low battery indicator gone. I left it on there almost two days, so I assume that's more than enough to fully charge it. The sweet spot is the underside of the bottom left corner of the case (bottom right if you're looking at the back). Some pics...

20151230_214902.jpg

You can see how the induction post is positioned here...

20151230_214822.jpg

And now that the experiment is over, I can finally wear this thing...

Excellent info!
Thanks for all the tips, explanation and following up.
I have ordered batteries so I can resurrect my old time bombs :)

Okay, I hung in there, and half a month after the quoted earlier post, just before x-mas, I finally noticed the low battery indicator being shown. So the six-month reserve lasted seven and a half months.

Now what? Testing charging with an induction charger...

Several options have been posted previously. What I used was an old sonicare induction charger, which has a post sticking up from the base which provides the induction.

It took A LOT of trial and error to find the correct positioning - I eventually referenced RonkPM's thread on TB movement repair to find where the coils are (though actually you can see them through the back display window, from the correct angle). Even then it took a couple of tries to get it right.

But it worked. Low battery indicator gone. I left it on there almost two days, so I assume that's more than enough to fully charge it. The sweet spot is the underside of the bottom left corner of the case (bottom right if you're looking at the back). Some pics...

View attachment 210378

You can see how the induction post is positioned here...

View attachment 210377

And now that the experiment is over, I can finally wear this thing...
Damn big bro thanks i did order it so this should work.

Big bro i got the charger. But you said low battery indicator?? Where can i find that?? Do i have to push the power on for the charger to be on UV CLEAN MODE?? @kronin323

Big bro i got the charger. But you said low battery indicator?? Where can i find that?? Do i have to push the power on for the charger to be on UV CLEAN MODE?? @kronin323

The low battery indicator is on the watch itself, not the charger. It's when the second hand doesn't tick normally once per second, instead jumps forward a few seconds at a time every few seconds.

The charger itself is dumb and knows nothing about the state of the battery it's charging.

The UV clean mode is only for the toothbrush heads and has nothing to do with the charging function. If it's plugged in, it's ready to charge, you only have to position the watch on it properly. Which is easier said than done.

The low battery indicator is on the watch itself, not the charger. It's when the second hand doesn't tick normally once per second, instead jumps forward a few seconds at a time every few seconds.

The charger itself is dumb and knows nothing about the state of the battery it's charging.

The UV clean mode is only for the toothbrush heads and has nothing to do with the charging function. If it's plugged in, it's ready to charge, you only have to position the watch on it properly. Which is easier said than done.
I see thanks. I noticed that when I first got the watch it was skipping. I see now that's the indicator that it was low. I have been using the watch for 3dys straight w/o any skips or stops meaning that the batt just needs re charging thanks again bro.

I see thanks. I noticed that when I first got the watch it was skipping. I see now that's the indicator that it was low. I have been using the watch for 3dys straight w/o any skips or stops meaning that the batt just needs re charging thanks again bro.
Try and check how long the charge keeps ... I have a Seiko kinetic and it wouldn't go higher than 3 days charge in the power meter AND it would barely last 2 days...

Sent it back to Seiko for a 'refurbish' (160$h) and they swapped the capacitor, cleaned it and changed all the gaskets... Works good as news...

Sadly this may be the case for a lot of older TB's and Icons

Try and check how long the charge keeps ... I have a Seiko kinetic and it wouldn't go higher than 3 days charge in the power meter AND it would barely last 2 days...

Sent it back to Seiko for a 'refurbish' (160$h) and they swapped the capacitor, cleaned it and changed all the gaskets... Works good as news...

Sadly this may be the case for a lot of older TB's and Icons
so far so good. I did follow big bros instructions for charging. Watch keeping up time no problems as of yet. I will leave for charging for 2 straight days. I am confident this will work good as new. its a display piece and was not used. so I think everything is functioning properly.