• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

I am updating my list and your Info will help.
Thanks so much.
The Donor Lenses in my case has to be at least 55x32mm.

Feel free to add more lenses that are large enough.
- Gauge 8 medium a. large (B.C. 8.75)
- Straightlink (B.C. 8.75)
- Plaintiff Squared (B.C. 8,75)
- Fives Squared (B.C. 7,5)
- Conductor 8 (B.C. 8)
- Square Wire New (B.C. 8.75)
- Flak 2.0 XL (B.C 8.75)
- Fast Jacket (B.C. 8,5)
- Field Jacket (B.C. 8,75)
- Given (B.C. 8,75)
- Half Jacket 2.0 XL (B.C. 8,75)
So field jacket is 8.75 BC? Cause I've been hearing mixed info, people saying it is others saying it isn't

Reporting back to the class...

If you're not a noob and know what you're doing, then you don't need to read past this paragraph. Thanks again, @SiRacer420, @"TRUMP", and @StG. Followed your suggestions and had success with my project, without f**king up the lenses.

For those who are still considering cutting your own lenses, here's my noob experience. A couple of disclosures first. I was only trying to shave 1+mm off one side of each lens, and the lenses were for a Split Jacket, so the end product probably didn't need to fit as precisely as for a frame without jaws. This is a good thing because while I can build an outdoor shed or pergola, indoor furniture is too precise for my patience or skill.

I started yesterday on some test lenses using 3M general painting tape #2094. That was a major mistake! I had old lenses that were pretty much shot and when I peeled off the tape, there was a pretty film left on the tape and no iridium coating on the lens.

As suggested above, I got Frog Tape for Delicate Surfaces today. With the other lens of the shot pair the Frog Tape took off about half the iridium coating. I had also taped the inside surface and half of that coating came off, too. Just like Racer said, the takeaway is that old (shot?) lenses are going to be a crap shoot. On a newer test lens and the lenses for the SJ, the Frog Tape had no discernible effect on the lenses.

As far as the shaving of the lenses goes, things went very smoothly. I tried to hold only the edges, but that wasn't entirely possible, so it was a good thing that I taped both sides like StG suggested. I have plenty of sandpaper but don't have a Dremel. So, I used a 120 grit held flat on a table while running the lens over it. Then I moved up to the 320 grit and finished with a 2000 grit to get a smooth edge.

I don't think that holding the face of the lens and applying the kind of force I need to is the optimal way for a more substantial project with a lot more cutting, but overall, Racer's method works.
Yeah. I did mine with a dremel and it worked out pretty well, walmart has the dremel 7300 on sale for like 22$ so I snagged one, it's a sweet little tool

So field jacket is 8.75 BC? Cause I've been hearing mixed info, people saying it is others saying it isn't
Based on the Information provided by thrusted Members:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-01 um 19.51.19.png

Based on the Information provided by thrusted Members:

View attachment 660081
I guess I have to take everything back.

it's not! 100% no.
They're definitely a Toric lens. I believe someone mentioned them as a 8.0?

edit: I have them in my notebook as the following;

*Field Jacket ~ Width: 64mm | Height: 47mm | Base Curve Toric 8 Ellipsoid

I have them asterixed since I haven't cut one myself, nor have a found anyone who has an stated the BC of them. But @Norcal91707 is correct on conflicting info out online I've seen them mentioned at 8/8.75. On the forum I've seen a numerical value but it's been said to be toric.

Last edited:
Looks 4x6 to me from the pics. Toric lens are 4x6BC. Other Oakley base curve options are 8.75BC, 6, and very rarely 4.

Back