• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you baby your X-Metals?

💀 What do you slam on concrete...ideas?
C8B696C7-EFD1-423C-9D04-00ABA3CBF8C4.gif
64C6477A-EF10-47DD-B550-A2A82C0EFFDB.gif
F649DD4B-E870-4214-88FE-93CF1F307612.gif

I'm going to lay out a not so popular position. My XX that I wear daily I bought with the knowledge that it could and would be refinished and have lense swaps. I store my XX on my hat or on my desk but more often than not, on my face. I put it on top of my hat despite realizing I wear out my flex couplers like 87 times faster like that bc my expectation is each refinish/tube should last at least a year or two.

The current one has been the best. (@zwc0442 does incredible work!!) I have dropped these multiple times and they have extensive wear defects from such, like the tips having chipped spots my own wreckless handling. I also have used OXM @scienergy / Branson for Cerakote. Excellent work there as well. I am very hard on my XX. After a fresh rebuild/refinish, I baby them for a time.

In contrast, I baby the poop out of my Polished Carbon XS. I rarely even wear it and when I do, it's usually in a MF bag or on my face.

No finish is indestructible, but I have gotten exactly what I aimed for:, a set of X Metals that I can wear every day that may not have box/coin/extensive collectors value, but a piece of hardware (feels wrong to minimize it to jewelry) that requires upkeep and rework periodically I can use every single day without issue that I plan to keep my whole life and pass on to my kids when I am gone.

I had actually lost my XX this last weekend and was frantic and heartbroken, but found it today, and was searching to look at different refinish options and saw this thread and had to respond.

I can't say I recommend beating your X Metals, especially if they belong in a display case in the first place , but I can say I have given this frame hell and then some. Still love it 5 years and 3 refinishes later. And no, by no means is the finish ever the problem at all. Stellar work from Zach and Chris both. It's the fact that prior to Oakley sunglasses, I never had a pair survive more than a few months. Yes, I could totally have a refinish done and treat them like an art piece, but what sold me on x metals was the indestructible nature of them.
No pitchforks and torches I hope, but that's my stance. ;)

IMG_20220824_175915.jpg

IMG_20220824_183454.jpg

IMG_20220824_183501.jpg

IMG_20220824_183506.jpg

IMG_20220824_183544__01.jpg

IMG_20220518_114546.jpg

No pitchforks and torches I hope, but that's my stance. ;)
None from me, we're on the same boat 😁 It's like when you get a new car and during the first few months you're buffing it every day, but then the day comes when you skip a wash 😅 There's already a tiny scuff on one of the temples, and I think I saw a 3mm scratch on the lense, but I can't expect them to be pristine if I use them day to day.

Currently I only have the Juliet but I'm working in growing my collection by the end of the year, wanna have the XS and later the XX. And yeah, Zach and Chris have a fantastic rep, I look forward to having them service my future X-Metals.

Back