• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do You Remember Your First Oakley's? How Many?

Original M Frame with Black Iridium Heaters. But the story is better.

I think it was around 1993 when my friend's dad flew in from Ohio and we picked him up at the airport. I had never seen anyone in person wearing Oakleys before (just athletes on TV), and he had the M-Frames. I thought they looked ultra cool and told him so. He passed away nine months later from cancer. When my friend got back from the funeral and sorting out his dad's estate, he gave me a shoe box. Inside was the same pair of glasses I complimented him for, some lens cleaner and a handwritten note from his dad to me, dated a few days after he'd flown home from his visit. The note said he had a great time during his visit and that if I was reading it, it meant he'd "gone on," as he put it, and that the glasses were mine now. I don't have that pair anymore because it broke, but Oakley sent me a free replacement frame the first time (with the "O," instead of Oakley icon) and then when they broke one more time, I paid $50 to Oakley for a new frame. So, I still have the descendant of that gift. Even thought it isn't the exact frame I was given, it still means a lot to me. I met this man once, spent a few days with him and his son over a week, made ONE comment about his glasses and he went home and immediately decided to pass them on to me.

Original M Frame with Black Iridium Heaters. But the story is better.

I think it was around 1993 when my friend's dad flew in from Ohio and we picked him up at the airport. I had never seen anyone in person wearing Oakleys before (just athletes on TV), and he had the M-Frames. I thought they looked ultra cool and told him so. He passed away nine months later from cancer. When my friend got back from the funeral and sorting out his dad's estate, he gave me a shoe box. Inside was the same pair of glasses I complimented him for, some lens cleaner and a handwritten note from his dad to me, dated a few days after he'd flown home from his visit. The note said he had a great time during his visit and that if I was reading it, it meant he'd "gone on," as he put it, and that the glasses were mine now. I don't have that pair anymore because it broke, but Oakley sent me a free replacement frame the first time (with the "O," instead of Oakley icon) and then when they broke one more time, I paid $50 to Oakley for a new frame. So, I still have the descendant of that gift. Even thought it isn't the exact frame I was given, it still means a lot to me. I met this man once, spent a few days with him and his son over a week, made ONE comment about his glasses and he went home and immediately decided to pass them on to me.
That is absolutely awesome

My first pair was the original Fives. Believe it was 1999 (I was 12 y.o.). Got them after a family river rafting trip in Namibia. One of the river guides had a pair he let me try. I've been hooked ever since. Sadly these were a victim of being sat on.

Frame: Tortoise
Lens: Gold Iridium
Family: Lifestyle
Price: $70
SKU: 03-136
Date: April 1997-2001

2nd pair was the Fives 2.0
Frame: Crystal Black
Lens: Black Iridium
Family: Lifestyle
Price: $75
SKU: 03-420

Can't remember the order I got them, but 3rd and 4th and 5th were a Monster Dog and New Straight Jacket. I still have these (going on 18years now (The Cobalt Minute is brother's)
IMG-20200905-WA0005.jpg

6th was a Tortoise Moon I got just after the above (got this as I couldn't afford a Mars when I was in high school)
Somehow kept these intact too! They make a special appearance maybe once every 2 years.

Wow, this one takes me way back lol! I went to the Asheville mall with the intention of buying a pair of Sub Zeros, this was 1992, I was a junior in high school. The Zeros had just came out, and I really, really wanted a pair! Unfortunately, the Sunglass Hut was out if stock, and since I had driven over 100 miles just to get to the mall, I had know idea when I would be able to come back. Determined not to go home empty handed, I ended up buying a sweet, sweet pair of Mumbo sweeps. I absolutely loved those glasses, had them for years, until they were stolen by a pos 🤬

After that I went through my wire faze. Bought a pair of E-wires as soon as they came out, and shortly thereafter I picked up a T-wire, again right after they came out. Wound up with 2 gen 1 T-wires, a plethora of first gen eye jackets, Minutes and Fives. My parents could not understand how or why I would spend so much on a pair of sunglasses. But I would explain that that one pair of glasses would last me for several years whereas cheap glasses would get destroyed or lost after a week or two. I always babied my Oakleys because, at that time, I never knew when I'd ever be able to buy another pair, and come on! THEY’RE OAKLEYS! The coolest shades on the planet!!! I'd be crazy NOT to baby them 🤷‍♂️
I had several pair stolen by my crack head "friends" that I was running around with back in the day, but the last pair I bought before I became a ward of the State, so to speak, was, what I thought for years to be a pair of Juliet's, but turned out to actually be a pair/complete set, of XX's, which I kept, in great condition, for 15 plus years. I recently traded them to a member here for a pair of gen1 "Bone" R1's. After I regained my freedom, I went back to the same mall, where I purchased that first pair of Mumbos, to the same Sunglass Hut, and I bought a pair of Flak 2.0 prizims. That was 5 years ago, and I still have them, in pristine condition today. I also recently purchased/traded for a Polished hammerstem Juliet, (actual Juliet's this time! 🤣), another pair of XX frames, I'm still waiting to arrive, should be here any day now, and, thanks to another Incredibly Awesome member here, a pair of Mars, that are "Out for delivery" as I type this! Once I recieve the Mars, and XX's I'll only have 6 current pair, which is not many compared to most of you guys, but that's ok by me! I only need a few to rotate anyway! Eventually, I plan on owning at least 1 example of each of the original X-metals......Man! I love this sport!!! 🤘😆

Wow, this one takes me way back lol! I went to the Asheville mall with the intention of buying a pair of Sub Zeros, this was 1992, I was a junior in high school. The Zeros had just came out, and I really, really wanted a pair! Unfortunately, the Sunglass Hut was out if stock, and since I had driven over 100 miles just to get to the mall, I had know idea when I would be able to come back. Determined not to go home empty handed, I ended up buying a sweet, sweet pair of Mumbo sweeps. I absolutely loved those glasses, had them for years, until they were stolen by a pos 🤬

After that I went through my wire faze. Bought a pair of E-wires as soon as they came out, and shortly thereafter I picked up a T-wire, again right after they came out. Wound up with 2 gen 1 T-wires, a plethora of first gen eye jackets, Minutes and Fives. My parents could not understand how or why I would spend so much on a pair of sunglasses. But I would explain that that one pair of glasses would last me for several years whereas cheap glasses would get destroyed or lost after a week or two. I always babied my Oakleys because, at that time, I never knew when I'd ever be able to buy another pair, and come on! THEY’RE OAKLEYS! The coolest shades on the planet!!! I'd be crazy NOT to baby them 🤷‍♂️
I had several pair stolen by my crack head "friends" that I was running around with back in the day, but the last pair I bought before I became a ward of the State, so to speak, was, what I thought for years to be a pair of Juliet's, but turned out to actually be a pair/complete set, of XX's, which I kept, in great condition, for 15 plus years. I recently traded them to a member here for a pair of gen1 "Bone" R1's. After I regained my freedom, I went back to the same mall, where I purchased that first pair of Mumbos, to the same Sunglass Hut, and I bought a pair of Flak 2.0 prizims. That was 5 years ago, and I still have them, in pristine condition today. I also recently purchased/traded for a Polished hammerstem Juliet, (actual Juliet's this time! 🤣), another pair of XX frames, I'm still waiting to arrive, should be here any day now, and, thanks to another Incredibly Awesome member here, a pair of Mars, that are "Out for delivery" as I type this! Once I recieve the Mars, and XX's I'll only have 6 current pair, which is not many compared to most of you guys, but that's ok by me! I only need a few to rotate anyway! Eventually, I plan on owning at least 1 example of each of the original X-metals......Man! I love this sport!!! 🤘😆
Love the story. I have a pair of XX sitting in my mailbox right now actually, from a member here.

I need a pair of Mars too. Romeos and Juliets already safe at home.

Love the story. I have a pair of XX sitting in my mailbox right now actually, from a member here.

I need a pair of Mars too. Romeos and Juliets already safe at home.
Right on! I love the XX's! Awesome shades! My next acquisition will be a Penny, then R2, and lastly a XS, and Half X. Not really a fan of open frame glasses, but, I do want to complete the full range of X-metals 🤷‍♂️ Besides, some of the R2's I've seen are pretty sweet lookin! 😉

Right on! I love the XX's! Awesome shades! My next acquisition will be a Penny, then R2, and lastly a XS, and Half X. Not really a fan of open frame glasses, but, I do want to complete the full range of X-metals 🤷‍♂️ Besides, some of the R2's I've seen are pretty sweet lookin! 😉
Same boat as you for the most part. I want the set but not a big fan. Owned Pennys years ago and not a huge fan there either, tiny on my face.

R1, Juliet, XX, Mars are my main goals.

Same boat as you for the most part. I want the set but not a big fan. Owned Pennys years ago and not a huge fan there either, tiny on my face.

R1, Juliet, XX, Mars are my main goals.
Thats my fear too, that the penny's will be too small for my face. I already had one member, @Solomon_Denali , point out that I, " have a big old melon!" 🤣🤣🤣

Back