• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Mars - Juliets - Pennys - X-Metal Beaters

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Sooo...in lieu of a bump, a question!? Has anyone ever drilled out a set of Mars to turn them into Craters? Lots of talented machinists out there! Not that any beater Mars are showing up either. Nothing but good, great, and mints out there...not quite ready to drop those prices on a pair I'm gonna immediatly start messing with 😏

Some people reacted to this post.
personally id love to see your project come to life. wolf fish wrapped crater or mars would be awesome. it might pay to put your budget out there for a pair as it might temp somebody out there with a beater pair that may decide to offload it rather than have it restored, i had mine restored but the turnaround was about 5 months and that might not appeal to somebody who doesnt want to deal with the cost and the turnaround time. best of luck

Username Hidden said:
personally id love to see your project come to life. wolf fish wrapped crater or mars would be awesome. it might pay to put your budget out there for a pair as it might temp somebody out there with a beater pair that may decide to offload it rather than have it restored, i had mine restored but the turnaround was about 5 months and that might not appeal to somebody who doesnt want to deal with the cost and the turnaround time. best of luck

Really good input! Thanks 🪖👍

…I had originally hoped for a pair in the 300-400.00 region as I was immediately planning on tinkering with them. Let’s face it taking a pair of good or mint 1000.00 sunglasses and experimenting is for the Tony Starks of the world 😏. Starting to look like my initial goal figure may have been unrealistic 🤷‍♂️

Finding a complete and straight Crater frame regardless of finish condition, rubber or lenses, for $400 is a tall-order.... good luck with the hunt....

Username Hidden said:
Finding a complete and straight Crater frame regardless of finish condition, rubber or lenses, for $400 is a tall-order.... good luck with the hunt....

Indeed!

As I’m now learning it was likely an unrealistic goal. But I’m new to these here parts! I “could” go a bit higher…hey it’s a Holy Grail-thing…though since I ain’t Indiana Jones it might not happen 🤠

That having been said…I’d be perfectly happy with no lenses or rubber as I’d be packing em off to The X-Man for refinishing and immediately getting some other color lenses from whomever and rubber from Linegear.

Course the frame would have to be in good order or what’s the point.

🪖👍

Last edited:
Username Hidden said:
Indeed!

As I’m now learning it was likely an unrealistic goal. But I’m new to these here parts! I “could” go a bit higher…hey it’s a Holy Grail-thing…though since I ain’t Indiana Jones it might not happen 🤠

That having been said…I’d be perfectly happy with no lenses or rubber as I’d be packing em off to The X-Man for refinishing and immediately getting some other color lenses from whomever and rubber from Linegear.

Course the frame would have to be in good order or what’s the point.

🪖👍
Prices have completely gone off the wall for the.frame. when I started buying them in 2017 or so I was paying in an around 500 for a decent crater, 350ish was good for a regular mars and anywhere from.750-1200 for a jordan that was worn well. Now a days.....and I still can't help myself but grab them when they come.up(if they come up). I've paid 750 plus for a crater, 600 plus for a regular mars and upwards of 950-1500 depending on condition of a jordan. It's unfortunately only going to get worse I think when the muzm pair drops..personally I won't be able to justify 2300 plus on one of those so I've been actively trying to grab stuff now.at the price points I've mentioned above. I'd really like to see your project ideas come to life but it would almost be like getting struck by lightning now to achieve the older prices on any of the frame styles.

Good luck in your Indiana Jones hunt and free bump. I'd definitely like to be proven wrong in this case.

Thanks for the bumps and the advice and counsel mates!

I’ve adjusted my fiscal expectations a bit…all things in their proper time!

IMG_6618.jpeg

Cannot believe there is no one out there with a beat up but still usable pair of Craters they are will to sell. I got exotic leathers here just waiting for something to do!

IMG_8771.jpeg

Well it seemed an auspicious day for a bump! While I did receive a pair of Craters today to start my Croc/Wolf Fish leather project, I am still in the market for Mars Crater beaters! These are too darn nice to experiment too much on!

So if ya dig up an old pair of Crater beaters and/or parts let me know! 🪖👍

You should possibly specify your price range for a beater Mars/Crater.