• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Plazma polarized issue

magicfenixx

Oakley Beginner
Good morning
Recently I got an Oakley Plazma sunglasses with PRIZM Black polarized lenses. I have a question regarding them.
-The glasses give me some eye strain when i wear them, it feels like a relief to take them off after some time in them
-The image is sharp but it is hard to focus on some particular thing - i am trying hard to examine all of the details on the landscape. I dont have any blurry, but i feel like i am looking through the details of the objects and not on them
- I feel like the general image are slightly distorted -- for example, when i am looking at my legs or on the road near me, it is distorting in a way like it is having a bend or twisted or curved a bit and that it shouldn't have it so it is hard to aim my foot properly on the place i want. It is not that bad but that's what i have noticed
-After taking the glasses off, i feel like having minor vertigo or something like that
-When i looked at the 2 boulder walls that are different distance from me ( like a corner of a wall and then the other wall slightly more far ( 1-2m difference)) I noticed like i don't properly understand the depth of the image i am looking at, the 2 wall looked like almost the one straight wall and also, because of all the boulders the image rippled a bit if i move my head slightly

The biggest issue appears in some sort of park or forest when there are many similar objects around me in a similar tone. Also like the boulder walls that have similar stone sticking out of it with many different shades. Focusing on a leaf in a tree park is very very hard.

I never wore a good pair of sunglasses before, and all I have to compare is my wife's Polaroid pair of sunglasses. They are also polarized with a black tint. They don't have that much of a frame curve around the face and the lenses are smaller, so my sideview is not affected by the glasses. In this sunglasses i dont have such issues, they work just fine, what i have noticed in first 5 minutes of testing

What can cause that? Is it a lens issue, or maybe it is something about curvance of the glasses around my eyes? Maybe the frame is faulty with some bending? Or maybe I am overemphasizing everything and my eyes just should get used to it and it is normal symptoms?
What can I try to get the best sunglasses experience from Oakley brand? Should I try glasses with a smaller curvance? Maybe some shield sunglasses? Or Glasses without polarized or PRIZM technology? Or is it better to try to get the same pair again and all I mentioned before is probably a factory defect?

Thank you in advance!

First i would try a Oakley without polarized lenses.

If that does not help, try a pair with less curved lenses. Like the Holbrook or similar.

Prizm Black, and especially Prizm Black polarized are one of the darkest lenses

Try the lighter lenses. As a too dark lens also can cause problems.
Sometimes you just need a lens to take the worst of the glare, and not send your whole world into darkness. :) That can also strain the eyes/brain.

but try non pol. first.... then flatter/less curved lenses.

Look forward to hear what you find out :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. A little problem is that i dont have oakley stores in my city, but thats okay, i will just order sunglasses to me.
Also, i have a question about polarization. I was intended to use the sunglasses for all of my activities and they include driving and going to the beaches.

I heard many things that polarized lenses are a must-have when it comes to reflections ( such as other cars' windshields, signs, water reflections etc.)

What do you think of that? In your opinion, what should i try taking into account this purposes?

And regarding less curved lenses, you mean like 6 base sunglasses and not a 8 base sunglasses or it is different?

Before Plazmas i was having jawbreaker on my mind and now i read some specs of it and it says it has an 8 base, so they aren't suitable for me also, unfortunately? Did i get everything right?

Last edited:
First i would try a Oakley without polarized lenses.

If that does not help, try a pair with less curved lenses. Like the Holbrook or similar.

I agree with Tom. Try a Plazma without Polarized lenses. All of my Plazmas only have PRIZM lenses, which is a different technology unrelated to polarization. Polarization DOES help with glare from reflections, but it comes at a cost. It affects your of depth perception; that may be what you're trying to describe.

The only other thing I wanted to add was, it is possible you got a defective pair of lenses. When the lenses are cut, if the blank is not exactly in the correct position (X-axis lined up correctly) the Polarization can be off, which could be distracting and fatiguing. I think this possibility is less likely, and more likely that Prizm Black is just not your favorite lens, as there are so many lens colors and technologies to pick from.

I basically only use polarized lenses with no issues.
Same with me, I have consistently used polarized lenses for years and they don’t affect my depth perception at all.

Prizm is equally hard to describe because it accents certain colors in certain lenses and each person’s color perception is slightly different. @magicfenixx I would agree with you- just order a couple different glasses with different lenses and see which one you prefer. Polarized, prizm, prizm polarized, you might prefer one over the other but until you actually try them on you won’t know. Good luck!

Thanks y`all guys!
Ordered Plazma Grey Ink/PRIZM Road
It should be in my hands next week. I will keep you updated.
Thanks for you replies, appreciate it

Back