• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strange lens defect?

steveadorjan

Oakley Beginner
I've just received a new (new old stock), boxed Straight Jacket I bought on ebay. The lenses look quite new, except for 3 tiny, almost invisible micro scratches, but when I was checking them with a LED torch light, I noticed that both lenses have a coin-sized area (close to the nose bridge) that have a mark which looks like a fingerprint or the imprint of very fine sanding. I thought the lenses were just smudged and cleaned them with the Oakley cleaning kit, but alas, it hasn't helped. As far as I can tell, they are only visible when held against a focused strong light source (such as my small torchlight), so I'm waiting for tomorrow morning to check them in natural sunlight too.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've checked all my pairs (including 5+ year old lenses) and none have this issue
scratch9.jpg
scratch8.jpg
scratch7.jpg
scratch6.jpg
scratch5.jpg
scratch4.jpg
scratch3.jpg

scratch2.jpg

scratch1.jpg

I’ve had lenses with a similar internal defect. It was a set of Flak OO Red polars and it covered both lenses. I believe @Chris A Hardaway called it “crazing.” I could only see the defect under an LED light, but I still couldn’t bring myself to wear them.

I’ve had lenses with a similar internal defect. It was a set of Flak OO Red polars and it covered both lenses. I believe @Chris A Hardaway called it “crazing.” I could only see the defect under an LED light, but I still couldn’t bring myself to wear them.
Is it "safe" to wear them at all (I mean protection, messing with vision etc.)?

I agree looks like stress cracks. Which is similar to crazing. But I believe crazing is from heat and like @htrap2294 says this is just from slightly stress on the lenses over a long period of time. Lenses may have been just ever so slightly too tight.

I agree looks like stress cracks. Which is similar to crazing. But I believe crazing is from heat and like @htrap2294 says this is just from slightly stress on the lenses over a long period of time. Lenses may have been just ever so slightly too tight.
Will it get worse over time? The seller claims he's never worn them (and they look almost new), but they were manufactured in 2007 according to the box. I really like the color, but if this represents a real issue, I'd rather send them back for a refund

Unsure if it's from PO improperly mounting/dismounting the lens, or if it was a case of thermal shock. I have seen it on a handful of x-metal's - which I think it's from people over tightening the orbitals, or not using any gaskets.

I actually have something similar on some M-Frame lenses. Which causes me no obstruction to my vision while wearing them. Nor can I particularly pick up on it in inspecting them, unless I tilt the lenses at a particular angle or shine a light through the backside like you're doing...

It's not going to get better. For a 12 year old pair of glasses I wouldn't say this was out of the ordinary from a collector stand point. Though it does decrease the value. If you are planning to wear you certainly will want to return and but something newer that's flawless. Not the sellers fault though. He's probably legit.

It's not going to get better. For a 12 year old pair of glasses I wouldn't say this was out of the ordinary from a collector stand point. Though it does decrease the value. If you are planning to wear you certainly will want to return and but something newer that's flawless. Not the sellers fault though. He's probably legit.
Thanks. I was planning on wearing these, I'm not really a collector. The funny thing is I have other lenses that are 10+ years old and don't have this issue. I've contacted the seller, since I'm afraid I will have to send them back :(
I wish Oakley would still make replacement lenses for discontinued models in more colors (I've only bought these for the +red lenses, I don't care much for the frame, which, btw., is flawless)

Back